Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
honeybee question?

Posted by bluebirdmama 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 10:44

My husband is getting bees for the first time this Saturday. He is going to be the "bee guy" not me, but I want to help by planting nectar plants for bees.

Here's my special "intractable" problem: We have a large steep drainage ditch. I want to kill everything on it (grass and weeds) using pond liner, going piece by piece down the ditch.

What do I plant on steep dry slopes, moist bottom, from seed, that I don't have to mow or water much? Would love some answers! Need to get started on this project soon. Oh, it would be nice if some of what I planted attracted honey bees!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: honeybee question?

I don't know how you kill weeds with a pond liner, will the liner stay
at the bottom and grow things around?

Roundup would work fine but just temporary, weeds will allway's come
up later and weeding is still needed after. I have borage, sunflower & poppies.. weeding is the main annoyance. Perhaps something dense like clover, I'm sure, you can grow more things in your climate...how about lavender?. I tend to grow more trees & shrubs for bees...good
for the long run.

o

I'll put pond liner down, secure it and wait. It will kill everything under it. I NEVER use roundup - it is not safe as the company claims. It is made by Monsanto which is a horrible company!
I'll plant clover (it's a smoother crop - no weeding) but it would get a bit monotonous. So I could put other things in like borage, poppies, etc. Thanks! Look up Monsanto on the web, not the monsanto web site.

o

Good for you!...how long do you have to keep the liner down?

o

About a month of summer sun should do it.

o

SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD PLAN. I USED PLASTIC AS WELL, BUT WHEN I DECIDED TO PLANT, I JUST CUT OUT HOLES IN THE PLASTIC AND PLANTED IN THE HOLES, KEEPING THE WEEDS FROM COMING BACK. EVENTUALLY I HAD NICE PLANTS SPREADING OUT TO COVER THE PLASTIC AND IF I FOUND A NEW PLANT I LIKED, I JUST CUT ANOTHER HOLE AND POPPED IT IN.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here