Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
screened bottom questions

Posted by spyderette NJ (My Page) on
Fri, May 8, 09 at 11:04

hi -- i'm a beginner beekeeper starting back up again after a 5 year hiatus. screened bottom boards were not something i was familiar with in the past. here are my questions:

when hiving new package bees, do i need to use a standard bottom board with the screened varroa trap?

or do i just leave the screen in place on it's own?

can i ever use just the screen without the stickyboard in place underneath or will the mites get back in? (hive is also on a hive stand)

is there ever reason for me to use a standard bottom board with the screened board (winter, etc)?

thanks for your help! please keep your answers basic!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: screened bottom questions

Living in the north as you do I would say to use the screened bottom with the sticky paper. I use them here in SC to help cool the bees during the warm season. I do not even use the sticky paper. It seems to help to cool the colonies and also rid the colony of a few of the mites.

o

If the hives are off the ground, there is no need to ever close up the screened bottom board except to do a mite count a few times a year. You can leave the screened bottom board open all winter. The bees have a harder time in winter with moisture then they seem to have with cold. I never use a solid bottom board, the hives are always fully open through the screened bottom board (the bottoms of my hives are about 1.5 feet above the ground on stands), and we get occasional spells of -10 degree F winter temps. I do use straw bales as windbreaks on the north and west sides of the hives, but the screened bottoms are always open.

o

I took off most of my solid bottom boards this spring. I was running screened bottom board on top of solid bottom boards but the space in beteween them just seemed to be a place to catch debris and encourage wax moths.I'm not sure if I'll winter with them yet. I do provide plenty of ventilation so moisture isn't a problem in the winter. I live in the north western corner of MA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here