Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees.....HELP

Posted by bshaw96 nc (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 11 at 11:34

I am not a beekeeper, nor do I have any interest in being one :) I do however have a problem. I have 12 boxwoods along the front of my house. I went outside to water my flowers and heard a very loud buzzing. In fact I joked to myself it sounded like something out of a bad movie with swarmscof bees chasing people. Well on further investigation, I realize I have hundreds of bees in all my bushes. They appear to be honey bees but there are some ground bees there as well. I have no interest in harming them. But I don't want them to raise either. Certainly not less than 10 feet from my door. Will they eventually move on? Should I call someone? Please any suggestions. I know they are not aggressive but I have kids and pets and constantly garden in this area. No way to avoid them. Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees.....HELP

If you could post a picture, we may be able to give you a little more help. However this time of the year it could be a swarm. In that case you can call the fire department in your area and they will have a list of local beekeepers that would be happy to come remove the swarm. It could just be that you have a hive close by and that is the bush they liek the best. Either way you will have a local beekeepers association that can work with you to determine what and how to get rid of them, without just killing them off.

o

Thanks. I will try that. They are tucked in for the night now :) I will try to get a pic. They aren't just in 1 bush. They are in all of them. I have no desire to kill them, just don't want them to take up permanent residence.

o

IF THEY ARE A SWARM, THEY WILL LEAVE BY THEMSELVES WITHIN A DAY OR TWO. IF YOUR BOXWOOD IS FLOWERING, THEY ARE COLLECTING POLLEN AND NECTAR AND HAVE A HIVE PROBABLY WITHIN A MILE OR SO. AGAIN, THEY WILL LEAVE SHORTLY ONCE MOST OF THE FLOWERS ARE SPENT. PETS LEARN VERY QUICKLY TO STAY AWAY AND CHILDREN CAN BE TAUGHT. IT IS MOST UNLIKELY THEY HAVE ANY INTENTION OF BUILDING A HIVE IN THE BUSHES. HONEYBEES ARE HAVING A HARD TIME THESE DAYS, DISAPPEARING FROM HIVES AND NOT RETURNING. IT IS HEARTENING TO HEAR YOU ARE CONCERNED FOR THEIR WELL-BEING.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here