Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
enrance exclder

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 12:22

We have been keeping a backyard beehive for over 25 years. While most survive over winter , the last two years were bad. One year frigid temps and they died in March with not enough bees to heat the hive. Last year they were alive in November and died in Dec of what we don't know .

So new bees arrived Monday from Kentucky. It was 80 yesterday and they were out and about. My question is my husband has an entrance excluder on and I think if should come off as they crowd thru on small opening. He says it's to prevent robber bees and keeps the hive safe. Who's right and when does the excluder strip come off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: enrance exclder

I think your'e talking about entrance reducer,..wooden strip with a slot. Your husband is right, only take it away when you have lots of bee traffic,...population going up.

o

I have the same concerns, I bought 2 5 frame nucs in April and wonder when the hive will be strong enough to remove the reducer.
Dan

o

When you see, bees have a hard time get in and out,..bees piling up at the entrance at high flow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here