Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountainboy_gw

were to start ?

mountainboy
16 years ago

i have the feaver bad .but dont know the first thing about bees ,getting there honey ?can yall help ? like to get maybe 2 hives an learn about getting there honey .WERE ,WHEN , WHY ,as to harvesting honey , keeping my bees in good shape

thanks yall

oh yea incase it matters i live in northeast alabama .close to tn,georga lines

Comments (4)

• scrappyjack
    16 years ago

Welcome to the forum Mountainboy!

The first thing to do to get started is READ! Read up on all that beginning beekeeping involves. Learn about all that will go on in the hive. Learn what it takes to harvest your crop.

Another thing you might want to do is shop around and learn about the cost of the products you will need to get going and keep going. Its not too inexpensive. WE learned to save a bit by building our own hives, and of course some of your equipment will be a one-time expense.

A nearby source for you might be to look into Rossman Apiaries in South Ga. And look into your nearest county extension office for information.

Good Luck!
    Jackie

• tonybeeguy
    16 years ago

Welcome Mountainboy. As jackie said read as much as you can. Call some suppliers and get their catalogs. That will get you familiar with equipment and terms used in beekeeping, and they are packed with useful information. Richard Bonney has a couple of good books,Beekeeping A Beginner's Guide is one of them. I've heard that Beekeeping for dummies is also good although I haven't read that one. If there is a local club, by all means join. Ask to tag along with an experienced beekeeper to learn the ropes. Most are more than happy to help a newbee along. If there is a beekeeping supplier within driving distance, visit them. Don't be afraid to ask lots of quesstions. We've all been there. If you want to start this year you would need to locate some bees quickly. Your best bet at this time is buying what's called a nuc. It's a kind of established mini hive, most often five frames that has a queen who is laying. From this you would move the bees into either an 8 or 10 frame hive. Eight frame hives are becoming more popular due to their lighter weight and easier handling. I use 10 framers since that's what I started with. You can't interchange parts from 8 and 10 except for the frames, so put some thought into which you choose. You don't need to go hog wild to get started. You cand buy a full bee suit for maximum protection. I just purchased a viel, and wear painter's pants and a regular long sleeve shirt. I hardly ever wear gloves but I do have a pair for the occasional time when you need them. Basic tools you will need are a hive tool (I like the ones with the hook end for lifting frames) a smoker, and a bee brush which some people like and other don't, but they are inexpensive.There are many choices when it comes to equipment and everyone has their favorite products. To start, I would recommend wooden frames and wax foundation over plastic. I have used both, but bees usually take to the wood and wax better. I could go on and on, but most of this info is in the better books.One of the most importand things you can do is ASK ASK ASK questions. Take the plunge and I'm sure we'll be hearing from you. good luck!

• Marie Tulin
    16 years ago

Well, I've got some nerve because I've been a beekeeper for exacatly 3 weeks. Although I'd thought about for a few years, I hurried to get started because the window of opportunity here in New England was closing.

One contact led to another- the bee lady- who sold me unassembled hive and basic gear: hat net (which I wear over my own duckbill cap) gloves, hive tool and smoker. I also just wear pants which I tuck into my socks and a shirt with an "elvis" collar that gets pulled up inside the big face net.

My bee lady was kind enough to help me assemble things, call me, stop by.

I found it easier to understand the books now that I have the bees, have seen a queen, drone and the workers doing what bees do....gather pollen, go to the hive, leave the hive, and so on.

HOwever, I did some reading beforehand.

I surprised myself because I am not at all afraid; I am curious and respectful, and I'm not looking to get stung, but I am not fearful....

Keep up the corrrespondence....folks here on this forum and friendly and helpful.

Marie