Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two Hives: 1 appears weak, 1 Looks strong, should I consolidate?

Posted by JMS80 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 14:01

Im an amateur beekeeper, decided to get into this last summer. California winters are not harsh, so winter had no effect on condition of the bees.
However once spring time came around I noticed a hive had varroa mites, I hesitantly applied the mite strips about 2 months back and have seen little-to no mites in or around the hive.

With that said one hive (previously infected with mites) has become weaker. The top honey super is sparsely populated with bees as opposed to my stronger hive. Ive recently sought advice from a professional and he suggested that I should look into consolidating the hives? Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two Hives: 1 appears weak, 1 Looks strong, should I consolida

You could, your queen could be failing, first, I would check if bees made superseding queen cells. The danger of combining is when you have one or more virgin queens, these are almost not recognizable, then a good hive can go from good to worse.

o

Thanks for the helpful tip, I will definitely check for that.

o

Just thought I'd give an update. I went out and checked my hives with a former professional beekeeper, he indicated the bees look very healthy. But the low numbers are troubling, we condensed the hive and I will be testing for american foulbrood in my next hive visit.

Crossing my fingers that its nothing too serious.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here