Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vineyardbee

Spraying and bees

vineyardbee
16 years ago

Hello,

My property was being sprayed with Conserve ( an organic Pesticide for a moth infestation) yesterday, which is toxic to bees. So I foolishly covered the entrance with duct tape from 11pm ( Sunday) until 4pm the next day ( Monday)so that the bees would not be outside ingesting the stuff. I was told the spraying needs 4 hrs to dry. The arborist sprayed @ noon.

I thought this would be OK because of the bottom screen letting in air. But this morning I saw no action at the entrance and when I went into the hive, it was the saddest site to see. 7/8 of a thriving colony was dead. I am devastated. I immediately went through the entire hive and brushed out the dead bees. There was 1 super and two brood chambers on. It turns out their were so many dead bees the entrance and bottom board was blocked. I did see uncapped broad but have no idea about the queen. I cleaned it all up, put it back together, gave sugar water in an entrance feeder and will hope for the queen to still be alive. What should I expect next?? The uncapped brood were all different sizes. If there is no queen but drones and working bees will they make another queen on there own. How will I know what to do?. When should I go back into the hive.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA