Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chester_grant

Carpenter Bees .... nesting in my deck railing

chester_grant
17 years ago

I have finally figured out that the little pile of sawdust on my deck right next to the side of the house is coming from a carpenter bee hole...(thank goodness as I thought I had carpenter ants under the shingles higher up the side of the house).....

I spotted a big black bee coming from the area of the sawdust - the hole is in the railing closest to and facing the house. You cannot see the hole without a mirror (there is also a telltale excreta area on the nearby shingle).

Well I left the mirror opposite the bee hole and the poor bee(s), when they fly back to the nest, crash into the glass and seem to fly off pretty quickly. Apparently bees navigate in such a manner - by surrounding "landmarks" - that they are completely disorientated by their entrance hole reflected in a mirror.

Question.....will this drive the occupants of this bee hole away? I am concerned that the female will just find another railing to bite into.....also if she has laid eggs the larvae will eventually hatch so that hole has to be treated......I understand however that its hard getting the appropriate material dispersed within the chambers or cells created by the mother bee. Maybe its best to let the mother bee take dessicant in with her rather than scare her off with the mirror?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County