Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tardis Beehive

Posted by Edymnion z7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 15:13

Being an oldschool geek that is finally getting around to starting a beehive after years of talking about it, I had the perfect idea on what to do with it. This idea came while watching Doctor Who and building approximately god-awful number of frames.

I need to turn my hive into the Tardis.
 photo 64166_272737629527742_1804604740_n_zps5705464d.jpg

Fully assembled hive, with a quick bit of spackle down the corners to smooth them out a bit before painting:
 photo 315471_10201404562415846_2065360537_n_zps5e4b4b2f.jpg

After two coats of almost-Tardis Blue paint (the hive will be in the shade in it's final location, but I still wanted to err a bit on the side of caution and not go too dark):
 photo 247530_10201411223422367_1402590483_n_zps0a44cb13.jpg

And where I'm at now (the professional art world is trembling before my astonishing skill with whatever random paintbrushes I could find laying around:
 photo 248998_10201413284473892_117824874_n_zpsa49b6b08.jpg

This post was edited by Edymnion on Wed, May 1, 13 at 18:59

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tardis Beehive

Thanks for the pics have to say you will have the most interesting hive in the yard As your apiary grows you can build Buckingham Palace

o

Finished hive.
 photo TardisHive_zps4845a76d.jpg

Its currently sitting out there with only the bottom hive box and the lid (looking weird) with some swarm bait in there to maybe attract some freebies while I go about getting some bought ones.

o

That is brilliant! Question - do the bees take a look inside then do a little flyaround outside looking puzzled?

o

I'll find out this weekend. Had a lure in there for almost a month with no hits, and I'm picking up a 3 lb. package this Friday.

If nothing else, I expect it to be buzzier on the inside. ;)

o

I'm sure they'll say it's smaller on the outside. :)

o

Suggest you start your package of bees in just the bottom box, when they fill 70% of the combs with honey and brood add a second box. Pretty good rule to follow as your hive population expands, 70% filled, add a box.

o

Oh yeah, never mentioned it here, but I started a blog about this hive, should anyone be bored: The Tardis Beehive: Its Buzzier on the Inside!

This post was edited by Edymnion on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 15:52

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here