Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiozone5

question on bumblebees

ohiozone5
16 years ago

Hello, I usually visit some of the other gardeining forums, but I have a question that perhaps would be best answered here. It's in regards to Colony Collapse Disorder. Can or has this affected bumblebees? I have noticed about half a dozen or so bumblebees dying or dead on their backs. The ones that are dying cannot remain upright even with assistance and seem incapable of flight even if turned upright or unable to cling to a branch if placed there. in short ,their motor skills seem somehow damaged. Is this normal die off for this time of year? We had a exceptionally cold early April, but I'm seeing them now, so I don't think it's weather related.

Comments (26)

• thisbud4u
    16 years ago

Geez, we ought to look into this. Now that you mention it, I've seen fewer bumbles this year. The symptoms you describe would seem to resemble pesticide poisoning. No, it is most certainly not normal behavior for this time of year, or any time. Note to the group--have other people observed problems with bumbles this year???

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

Not me! But I haven't seen a lot around yet.

• heather_q
    16 years ago

I have! My youngest daughter usually gathers them and feeds them sugar water off her fingers and sometimes they manage to recouperate. Otherwise, they just die.

• green_jen
    16 years ago

Perhaps they're all at our house - we seem to have about a half dozen flying around in a small area.

• lisarana
    15 years ago

I live at the Jersey Shore and I have found 7 dead/fdying Bumble Bees in my backayrd in the past 4 evenings. I tried to perch each one on a flower in my hanging baskets, but they are gone by the next day. I have not sprayed any pesticides or used any fertilizers or anyhting of that nature, but I am growing more and more concerned. Last night I found two. What could be causing this? I am worried that it may be environmental, but how can I find out?

• tonybeeguy
    15 years ago

A few years ago I noticed that I wasn't seeing many bumblebees. For the past two years there have been literally hundreds of them around here. I think they are somewhat cyclical, but as far as what you are seeing, that would have no relation.Acording to the book "Befriending Bumblebees" by Elaine Evans, Ian Burns, and Marla Spivak,bumblebees can be affected by pests such as parasitic wasps and flies, nossema, mites,and single cell organisms. I've posted a link to alternative pollinators on beesource where you might be able to find a more definitive answer. Hopefully it's not pesticides

Here is a link that might be useful: http://beesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=265

• eibren
    15 years ago

I saw a few early in the season, but none at all for the past several weeks.

I'm hoping they're just up in the trees getting their pollen and nectar from there right now. :o(

I'm also hoping that the bumblebee-like wasps (larger and move faster and more aggressively than bumblebees, and have shiny black abdomens) do not turn people against bumblebees by misidentification.

I never used to see those here in Cumberland County, PA until this year--saw them all the time in York County, just South of here.

• seamommy
    15 years ago

I have been seeing more and more bumblebees each year since I moved to Texas. This year I have seen more than ever. I do provide bee-friendly plants and use compost for fertilizing and the only pesticide I use is orange oil for the fire ants. I also see a lot of honeybees on my monarda and lavenders. They all seem to be alive and well, at my place anyway. I haven't seen any dead or ailing bees at all. Cheryl

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

I spoke with a UC Berkeley entomologist about CCD at a garden show.

He said CCD affects honey bees. Our native bee's are not affected as they are solitary dwellers.

He said the biggest dilemma for native bee's is loss of habitat. He said to many gardens are groomed too perfection. I purposely leave an area of my garden untouched.

I have over 8 plus different species of bee's in my garden that are thriving very well.

Weather has played a major factor as well. It's been an extremely dry year.

• tonybeeguy
    15 years ago

Yes, if possible don't mow your lawn. You'll be amazed at the native plants and wild flowers that pop up and the varieties of bees they will attract. Another bonus we got were wild strawberry plants all over the place

• pegs0202
    15 years ago

I work on a college campus and we have a phenomenon going on here. Outside our building are numerous bumble bees who seem to be attempting to get pollen off some fallen dried buds that are falling off the trees. They're rolling around on the buds all over the sidewalk. But then they seem to die! There are dead ones all over. I wonder if this particular pollen is toxic to them. I've never seen anything like it. The big bumble bees seem to be attracted to these fallen buds like they would be to sugar water. It's only June and warm here in S. Jersey, so I don't understand what's happening. It's almost scarey.

• cocosmom55
    15 years ago

HI - I'm here in Raleigh, NC and am experiencing the same phenomenon her as well in regards to dying bumble bees. Right now - that's 6:20 pm Jluy 27th Sunday - there are at least 3 bees seemingly barely clinging to life and the flower they are on....while all the honey bees busy themselves on my lantana and butterfly bushes! What is going on? I watched a small bird die in the same area as these bees just a few weeks ago -(along with a few bees too) I had called my local extension office and they said if it was just 1 bird not to worry... however, I keep seeing all these bees dying ......any other North Carolinians experiencing the same??

• connie2008_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi,

I've tried repeatedly to post here, and it just isn't working, I'm hoping this time it will.

We're seeing a massive bumble bee die-off in the Nederlands too. We don't use pecticides either and the bees seem to be near our Butterfly bush when it happens, but the Birds and Butterflies don't seem to be bothered, so it seems to be limited to only the bees.

It's very alarming.

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

This is not good, especially early in the season.

Some of you, who hasn't seen this video might like it.
    Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Bumble Bee Video

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Howdy, I usually hang out in the rose forum, but I couldn't resist jumping in here, as I seeking answers to some questions myself. (I'll start a new thread if I cannot find the answers I am looking for.)

Anyway, just last night I was clearing out some overgorwn weeds when I was divebombed by two or three bumblebees. I am pretty sure I uprooted their nest, as they were quite agitated. Some quick research told me they make small, short-lived nests, then I was more convinced than ever.

In standing back watching the bees rumble around and contemplating whether I could safely continue to pull weeds, hubby and I noticed another group that was obviously doing their evening return to a nest under a fallen landscape timber. I am thrilled at the same time I am dismayed, as I need to do yard clean-up, but know we NEED THOSE BEES! (I have only seen one honeybee here all year. :o( )

Anyway, the point of all that was to say I have seen many, many more bumblebees this year, and at least part of me, lol, is thrilled they are nesting here on the property. I have also seen alot more smaller, native-type bees, too, like "sweat" bees and green bees. (Frankly I know nothing about which are true natives and which are imports except for honey bees.)

I don't use insecticides.

• blaze0811
    15 years ago

This is like the third time I am trying to post this...

Those of you who have been finding dead or dying bumblebees or honeybees in your yard (or birds), please check to see if a cell phone tower or antenna was recently installed somewhere nearby in your neighborhood.

www.antennasearch.com

My pets all became ill (and most died) following the installation of a cell phone mast up the street from my home. I was too busy though trying to keep them alive while my own health was declining to notice what was happening to the bees. I did find a dead bird though around that time, as well as a family of possums (all dead).

We are truly gambling with nature here. Please read the following - then you'll understand how this is even possible.

Bioinitiative Report:

http://www.bioinitiative.org/report/index.htm

Attitudes to the Health Dangers of Non-Thermal EMFs:

http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/news/20080117_bevington_emfs.pdf

• david_mccrindle_o2_co_uk
    12 years ago

In Northern Ireland also I have found large numbers of dead or dying Bees in my garden

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Can you tell what season of the year this accrued? If it was in the fall
    it would make sense.

• nofx507_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

well i was walkin home today when i seen a dead bumble bee and didnt think anything of it... i took afew more steps seen another one and kinda thought it was weird but did bother me much so i kept on walkin not paying much attentiion to the ground and then a seen 2 more right next to each other so it realy intrieged me so i started looking for them on the ground and i counted 47 dead or dieing bumble bees on the ground in about a 5 block distance i live in northern california and theres something much much bigger behind this just looking for afew answers thnx

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I have a good report and this seemed like a good place. I have numerous bumble bees hibernating in my compost pile. From the reading I did, am I correct in thinking these will all be this year's queens? And that they will seek nests elsewhere when they wake? I have a shrub out front where the bumbles congregate all summer long. And they are very docile and never get aggitated when I work in the garden.
    My question though is when do they normally come out of hibernation? When I found that there were so many in the pile I left it alone. But I do need to know when it will be safe to get to it. I don't want to hurt the bees. But I am going to need that compost. Any guidance would be appreciated.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

How do you know they're hibernating?
    These were probably last year's bumbles, you had a nest in the compost, most of them will die out over winter, if your'e lucky, some fertilized queens might still be there, my guess is, most of them have found a more suitable place to stay,...but I still hope you're lucky and have some.

As soon it warms up, bumbles will fly around and look for a new place to start a colony.
    In your climate, this can happen anytime now, as soon you see one, then you could slowly expose the nest a little and see.

Still, I would put up some birdhouses and screw a reducer, piece of wood on top the hole, size about of your thumb. Put some insulation material in, about 2 to 3 inch deep,
    wood chips or shredded paper, wool, fiberglass etc.

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

The ones that I accidently dug out were clearly alive, slow moving at first and then after a while they flew away.
    Would the bird houses be for nesting places? What would I be looking for as far as a nest goes? I've never seen a bumble nest before and the pics I searched don't really show much in the way of detail. And would I be in for a nasty surprise if there is a nest there? Would they nest again in the same spot?
    I'm sorry about all the questions. I respect bees, but I am also very skittish around them. Okay, scared. I've been stung and I know it's not that bad, but I'm still afraid of them. Silly I know but I just can't seem to talk myself out of it.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Yes, the bird house is for nesting, place them away from your normal walk path, so they don't go in and out from where you walk, or place it far up on a tree.
    Bumble nest are not very large and usually don't bother you.
    They could be nesting in the same spot,..one just never know.

I had a nest in the owl house last year, some pictures I made
    late in the season when most bees had left, some larger queens stayed behind.

This house is placed about 15 feet up on a tree.
    {{gwi:426875}}

{{gwi:429920}}

The year before I had a Northern Flying Squirrel.
    {{gwi:429921}}

I made some smaller boxes, about half size of a regular birdhouse...had a nest in the first year, put up on a fence post.

{{gwi:429781}}

{{gwi:426876}}

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

Thanks for the pics. I'll keep my eyes open when it warms again and see if I can't get lucky enough to gets some pics when (or if) they decide to come out of there. We're having hard freezes at night right now, and I'm going to err on the side of caution and leave things alone. I don't want to risk exposing any bees that might otherwise live. And I have a few days (or rather nights) off from work so I'll start getting to work on the bee house. Should it be put up sooner rather than later?
    Nice shot of the squirrel. He sure looks surprised.
    Thank you so much. You've been a lot of help. I definitely want to do my part for the bees. They do so much for us.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Sure,.. let them be for now.
    Yes, sooner the better, I would put several up...one could try a several, cheap plastic
    planters and put them on a board, put weight on top, drill a hole on the side, fill and make them a little
    different each, one just never know what they like.
    Some could be on the ground, some higher up, shade, sun etc.
    Good luck!

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

Thanks! I'm going to start looking around. I have a city lot so I'm limited but I will definitely try. I do know the bumbles congregate in this one flowering bush I have out front, so at least I know where they like to bee (pun intended). I'll be sure to come back here and fill you in on any new developments as the weather turns.

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia