Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hovering Bumble Bee?

Posted by gumby_ct CT it says Z5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 15:39

I have a Bumble Bee that hovers like a helicopter right in front of my front door. S/he just hovers until another bee comes by then they seem to dance and fly off.

Question(s): Is this fella guarding something?? I haven't seen him go into a hole anywhere??

If so what?

How can I get him to stop hanging out in this very spot?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hovering Bumble Bee?

You have carpenter bees. The male is patrolling his territory for other male carpenter bees. The dancing together is really the bees fighting to hold their territory. Look for what seems to be drill holes in nearby wooden structures and you will find their nest. James.

o

Ok at least I know what to look for.
Thanks

Not sure how this guy is 'guarding' if he can't sting?

Here is a link that might be useful: Carpenter Bees

o

Well I did find the little hole today, it's in the end of a small piece of wood I used to mount a lite. I think I have seen it before. Just glad it's not in a wall of the house.

Ironically the guard is not out today, not sure what happened or why he's gone. Gov't layoffs?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here