Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

First Hive Inspection

Edymnion
10 years ago

Okay, its been almost a week since I installed my package, and I just finished my first hive inspection.

At first glance, there was lots of drawn out comb, including some where it was drawing out into little bridges between frames (which were in the area where the queen's cage was, so I assume they were building around that originally). The frames were nice and heavy, and a lot of the comb was full of the sugar syrup I've been feeding them, so they obviously find it to be suitable enough.

Also spotted quite a few uncapped cells with what I presume is pollen in them. Quite dark looking material at any rate, can't imagine anything else bees would be storing in there but pollen.

Was at least 3-4 frames double sided that had been filled out, and two more that were being worked on one side, so it looks like they've been busy little bees this past week.

What I did not see was the queen. She was alive and well when I installed the package, and she had escaped the cage, so I assume she's alive and well in there and that I just didn't spot her. Seeing as how I'm new at this, I probably would have had a hard time picking her out of all that anyway.

All that said, it looks like they're doing quite well. It had a nice low hum, and I did the entire inspection without smoke or protective gear and did not get stung, everybody was quite mellow.

This post was edited by Edymnion on Thu, May 30, 13 at 17:14

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services