Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roflol

Do bumbles ever exhibit carpenter bee behavior?

roflol
14 years ago

We have seen the comparison pics of bumblebees and carpenter bees, and have personally seen bumblebees up close foraging. But I have not found any movies or pics of either in flight to help me identify our new-found buggy buddy.

This year with a sunroom we have watched a large bee (not a hummingbird and not a hummer moth, know both of those well) exhibit hummingbird territorial behavior at different locations around the house.

Today it was at the lilac bushes, and there were actually two of them, same size and looked the same, but neither was feeding - just appeared to be playing hide-and-seek with each other.

No way to take a pic with my camera... none are fast enough as fast as these bees are flying! The bellies in flight seem to be shiny, and I know that points to carpenter bee.

However, yesterday one bumblebee did take a power-nap under the railing... I saw it up close through glass. It had the bright yellow markings and fuzzy body I have always recognized to be a bumblebee, and it rested there for about 5 minutes or so before cleaning himself off and taking off. It did not appear to have pollen on it at all.

I have not noticed any nest holes, but then again have not checked everywhere.

Soooo, question is: Do bumblebees ever exhibit territorial behavior at this time of year, or would they only be foraging?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!