Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do bumbles ever exhibit carpenter bee behavior?

Posted by roflol Z6 MO (My Page) on
Fri, May 8, 09 at 17:56

We have seen the comparison pics of bumblebees and carpenter bees, and have personally seen bumblebees up close foraging. But I have not found any movies or pics of either in flight to help me identify our new-found buggy buddy.

This year with a sunroom we have watched a large bee (not a hummingbird and not a hummer moth, know both of those well) exhibit hummingbird territorial behavior at different locations around the house.

Today it was at the lilac bushes, and there were actually two of them, same size and looked the same, but neither was feeding - just appeared to be playing hide-and-seek with each other.

No way to take a pic with my camera... none are fast enough as fast as these bees are flying! The bellies in flight seem to be shiny, and I know that points to carpenter bee.

However, yesterday one bumblebee did take a power-nap under the railing... I saw it up close through glass. It had the bright yellow markings and fuzzy body I have always recognized to be a bumblebee, and it rested there for about 5 minutes or so before cleaning himself off and taking off. It did not appear to have pollen on it at all.

I have not noticed any nest holes, but then again have not checked everywhere.

Soooo, question is: Do bumblebees ever exhibit territorial behavior at this time of year, or would they only be foraging?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Never mind.....

After further googling, I am almost 100% sure my little buddies are Eastern carpenter bees. Probably the little buggers responsible for slicing into my coral honeysuckle blooms too, the little stinkers!

They sure are dead ringers for bumblebees... guess I'd better rethink what I "know." :]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here