Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ersten

Three queens in one hive

Ersten
18 years ago

I started beekeeping last August. In early March, I noticed many bees hanging on the front of the hive. Suspecting that swarming was imminent, I did an artificial swarm on March 9 by taking 9 of the 10 frames from the deep brood box (I have a deep and medium brood box setup here in Northern California), along with about 20% of the bees (but not the queen) and replacing those frames in the original brood box with 9 frames of foundation only. I then placed the medium brood box on the bottom and the deep one on top of it. I put the 9 removed frames (plus one frame of foundation) into a deep of a new hive comprised of the deep and a medium (having drawn comb) one foot from the original hive. There were at least two swarm cells on these frames. I noticed that a lot of bees in the new hive were leaving, so I carefully used a flat shovel to scrape off the bees on the original hive walls and gingerly placed them into the top of the new hive. I did that a couple of times. They seemed to settle down after that.

The following weekend, March 19, I found a queen (very small and only slightly larger than a worker) in the new hive. It seemed all was well, since the original hive did not show any outward signs that swarming was about to happen.

Three weeks later, on April 9, I checked on the new hive and was happy to see that the new queen had grown is size and there were a lot of capped cells and larvae present. The old hive was operating normally, or so I thought.

However, the original hive swarmed on the morning of April 15 (witnessed by my neighbor). It formed a ball two or three feet in diameter above his yard and then just disappeared. I opened the hive and noticed several swarm cells which I left alone. I did not look for a queen. The hive swarmed again nine days later on April 24 (which I witnessed). It was a small swarm that landed in the same neighbor's apricot tree. It clung around a large limb and adjacent branches, so I could not shake it free (though I tried twice to grab a bunch of bees and put it in a nuc, but each time I did not get the queen, so the bees flew back to the swarm). The next day, the swarm had left for parts unknown.

On April 30, I opened the hive. I located the small queen in the bottom (medium box). I then checked the condition of the large brood box above this medium. I was surprised to find another queen (again very small). I captured this queen and some attendants and put them in a glass jar (where they still are as of today). I then proceeded to look at the other frames, and found another small queen! I went back into my house to get another jar, but when I returned, I could not locate the queen on that frame, which I had put on the frame holder. I looked for several minutes but just could not find her. I gave up trying to find her, and decided that I should destroy all the remaining queen cells. There were about six unopened queen cells, but they were all empty except for one which had a developing queen that was black and obviously had been dead for a while. It started to drizzle so I closed up the hive.

MY QUESTION: Should I try to find both queens and remove one as soon as possible, or just leave the queens alone? Will they be more likely to duke it out or will one (or both) decide to swarm?

Comments (15)

• txbeeguy
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First, welcome to beekeeping (...and to swarming!).
    At this point, there's probably not a good answer to your question (kind of a "dealer's choice"). If you're pretty sure you've killed all the swarm cells, I'd be inclined to leave them alone at this point and let the bees decide which one will be their permanent queen (in other words, let them fight it out). If you've killed all the swarm cells, they're not so likely to swarm again. And worse case would be one last (and much smaller) swarm which at this point won't significantly impact your honey crop since they've already thrown off multiple swarms and the overall colony population is way down now. As far as maximizing your honey crop, things can't get much worse now anyway (assuming the health of the colony is not in question).
    Brood nest crowding is thought to be the main reason for the bees developing the swarming impulse (but by no means the only causative factor). Your other (original) hive (the one with all the foundation to be drawn out) should not have any further swarming impulse developed this year - IF it does, then this queen just has really bad genetics/undesirable traits and should be replaced.

• Ersten
    Original Author
    18 years ago

txbeeguy,

I'm tempted to open up the original hive this weekend, find both queens, and eradicate the smaller one. I might do that because who knows if both bees will be permanently injured in a battle to see who is top queen? That must happen occasionally, and if it does, the worker bees would have to start the queening process all over again, and valuable time will be lost getting the hive back in full production. Of course, all of this will be moot if one of them hasn't swarmed by then. Luckily we have mild winters here, so even if the hive experiences a third swarm this spring or early summmer, the remaining bees should make it through the winter.

Thanks,
    Ersten

• bambooo
    18 years ago

I wouldn't be indiscriminately killing queens at this stage. If you find both queens then split the hive with a queen in each half. If you only find one split it anyway and look for eggs in a couple of days. (young eggs are standing on their ends) After you determine who has the better brood pattern you can lose the weaker queen and combine using the newspaper method. Or you can requeen the weaker and have 2 colonies.

• Ersten
    Original Author
    18 years ago

bamboo,

I am already max'd out at three hives. Instead of killing one, what if I just add a queen excluder between the two brood boxes to keep them apart until I can determine which one has a better brood pattern?

Ersten

• bambooo
    18 years ago

Sure Ersten you can manage them as a 2 queen colony.
    If it's very strong it would be good for comb production.

• Ersten
    Original Author
    18 years ago

bambooo,

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that this weekend.

Ersten

• Ersten
    Original Author
    18 years ago

bambooo,

An additional thought: Since each queen releases its own unique pheromone which it uses for communication and bonding, how does the presence of two different pheromones affect the hive's operation? When the bees from the upper colony pass through the lower colony to exit the hive, are they not viewed as "foreigners" and open to attack, or do the two different pheromones just blend together througout the hive, and everything is just hunky dory?

Thanks,
    Ersten

• bambooo
    18 years ago

Everybody ends up smelling about the same, they share the same food. The pheremone is the same chemical in either queen but it does vary depending upon her state of lay.

• Oyster123
    18 years ago

bambooo,

Thanks for the insight.

Ersten

• Oyster123
    18 years ago

Checked out this hive on Saturday, and could not find A SINGLE QUEEN! I didn't look as carefully as the previous week, thinking that any queen would surely have grown big enough to easily spot. I also did not see any queen cells, larvae (I still have not been able to detect eggs with my presbyopic eyes), or capped brood cells. I was concerned that either both queens swarmed, or they killed each other, so I stole a frame from another hive that had various larvae sizes and put into this hive, hoping that a new queen will be developed.

Do you think that there still is a queen in the hive, but that it still has not mated or not at the egg laying stage, so I might have missed seeing it?

BTW, the queen that I took out from this hive on the day that I spotted three queens, died in the jar I placed her and attendants in because I simply forgot about it until three days later. Only one worker bee was alive by then. What a pity.

• Oyster123
    18 years ago

Checked out this hive on Saturday. The frame with larvae and capped brood that I inserted the week before was all capped, and I could not locate any eggs or larvae on this frame or any other frame. I also could not find any queen cells, so I surmised that there MUST be a queen somewhere. I eventually found her on another frame in the other brood box, so all is well, and either this queen survived a fight with the other queen, or there was a smaller swarm that took that queen with her. She looked much fatter than two weeks ago, so she should be laying eggs soon.

• ccrb1
    18 years ago

killing queen cells often results in a queenless hive eventually.

• steveintn
    18 years ago

So Ersten, what happened?

Since your situation has been going on most of the month of May, it doesn't make sense for me to try and recommend something. I hope you didn't get one of my least favorite problems, the ersatz queen. When the hive has been without a queen bee and a worker bee, nonfertilized of course, starts laying drone eggs.

The queenless hive is a fairly common problem. First thing I do is give the bees some brood from another hive, and though they could raise a queen from fresh brood, I also call my local queen supplier the same day.

• Oyster123
    18 years ago

SteveInTN,

After I found the queen two Saturdays ago (see my previous post), I was satisfied that everything was okay. Of course, I may have the rare problem of a non-egg laying queen, so I should check the hive this weekend to see if there are any eggs (one on the bottom of each cell, of course).

We had our first truly warm weekend of the year, and my three hives were buzzing with activity. Can't wait to taste the first extraction of this year's honey!

• FLUTTRBY1223_YAHOO_COM
    13 years ago

i woke up this am to find 2 swarms in the pine tree behind my house this am..my garden bees in my nuk that i got last year had been extra busy lately...today was the first nice warm day in 2-3 weeks.my nuk was made up from a split from my cousins hive.i called a beekeeper close by for help because i had no hive to put them in yet..was going to try a warre hive.should have been shipped sat but there was a delay and they swarmed sunday.....he brought an old box to put one swarm in for me and i told him to take the other home with him....how soon could i transfer the new swarmed ones to the warre hive..? this hive that they are in is just a temp. beat up one...my girls sure have been busy!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living