Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small hornets nest

Posted by jones60 (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 18:18

I do not killing things for no reason. I just noticed a small hornets nest being built near my walkway but on the side of my garage up high. I was cleaning a clogged gutter and saw it. Should I remove it as I know how big they get or leave it. I can see taking it down now but do not want to kill any bees its MAY here in Ct. If I get it down will the bee nest elsewhere or should I just leave it alone. Mostly afraid of how big it gets and will they renest elsewhere. Weather has been so bad figured now is a good time. The bess left as I was trying to unclog the gutter. I feel I should knock it down now but do not want to kill them? What should I do???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small hornets nest

Yes, knock it down for safety reason, if you think it's dangerous from getting stung, do it in the dark with a flashlight quick. They should all go somewhere else in day light,..give it a couple of days. The queen would probably start a new colony, worker bees might be joining other colonies like honey bees do, or at least live their lives as solitary bees, still helping to control pest insects and or pollinating etc.

o

I only see one bee no others yet.He/she keeps coming out thru its tunnel looks like a tornado. I see it fly away alot is that a good time to do it. Also its late may here in CT can they start another house?

o

It's probably the queen bee just starting, yes, still early to start over a new nest.

o

whats odd I have not seen the bee at all in 3 days? Did she leave the nest and go elsewhere or what. Was going to knock it down but was going to do it when I saw her leave but haven't seen her at all?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here