Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
They swarmed, now what do we do??

Posted by jcb500 (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 18:33

The Mrs. + I watched the hive swarm this morning.:(

What am I supposed to do now? There are still bees in and out of the Hive..

Please help!!!

Joe in NY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: They swarmed, now what do we do??

Opened up hive today, didn't find a queen, and no sight of any eggs. Yikes!!!

o

In a hive that JUST swarmed, there is often no sign of fresh eggs - the queen stopped laying a few days before to get ready for her flight with the swarm. However there should be capped brood and probably several swarm cells (queen larvae)near the bottom of the brood box. Easiest way to tell is to CAREFULLY tip up the whole box with the most capped brood, and look for peanut shaped protrusions hanging down or between frames. If any of these is sealed (no small smooth hole near the bottom), you already have a queen in the oven, who should emerge in a few days. Hives rarely swarm without leaving a new queen "in the works." Wait a couple weeks and check for brand new eggs again.

o

Good advice above. I'll add that if your not sure what you're looking at, close them up and walk away for about three weeks and then check again. Most of the time they'l have a new queen and if they don't it will be obvious then and you can deal with it.
When they swarm like that, watch the swarm. Alot of times they land fairly close by and they are really easy to catch. Then you have a new hive and if the old one comes up queenless you can combine the two back together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here