Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New bald faced hornets nest, in a bad spot

Posted by tracey_nj6 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 19:08

I just discovered a newly developed bfh nest, in a questionable spot. This will be my 3rd known nest; normally they'd be in a maple tree about 20' off the ground. This nest is at the top of a window, with some foot traffic from the neighbors (their driveway is close). It's a bed that contains a few butterfly bushes and lots of milkweed & rudbeckia. I'm 99.9% sure that we have yellowjackets nesting in our siding; been this way for years, dh is in denial. While previous nests have been welcomed, due to the fact that the yellowjacket population was minimal when nests were present, you can understand my love for them. I'm just worried about any butterflies, bumblebees, honeybees, and monarch caterpillars that will be in this area.

1. Should I leave the nest alone?
2. Should I knock it down at night?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to harm them, but I worry about the other visitors!

Tracey

photo 8052b6fb-cd7a-4628-96e9-6ca1cb2c8803_zps05e8f6be.jpg
BFH Nest, window, 05/2013 photo 13052903_zps3105629a.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New bald faced hornets nest, in a bad spot

Since it's just the start of a nest, I would knock it down.

o
RE: New bald faced hornets nest, in a bad spot

Well, after much contemplation, I just knocked it down, and boy, is she pissed! Hopefully all will be calm in the area tomorrow morning. I'm going to try and avoid the area for as long as possible. The nest is on the ground. I'm hoping she decides to rebuild higher up, because if she builds back in the same spot, I'll have to kill her, which I really don't want to do :(

Every webpage I looked at said to spray the nest. I just can't bring myself to do that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here