Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisette1_gw

A lizard in my hive

lisette1
15 years ago

So I am new to beekeeping. I have a lizard living in my new (3wks) hive. How many bees can this guy eat? Is he likely to eat my queen. How do I get rid of him? These are really gentle bees and they just crawl over Mr. Lizard as he suns on my bottom board.

Comments (6)

• txbeeguy
    15 years ago

I think you ought to post a picture! :-)

• teryaki
    15 years ago

"How do I get rid of him?"

Air rifle would do it.

I want to see this cheeky lizard too! No idea how many bees he could eat without seeing him! About how big?

• lisette1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am doing a relocation program for all lizards caught on the hive - sort of like a bear thing only tiny. The air gun is not out of the question. The lizard in the hive is very small and fast.
    The weekend was tragic. My dad is a "retired" beekeeper so he came to help me with my 4th week inspection. We pull a frame and it is the most glorious completely cap thing I could imagine. In the next moment the whole thing fell away from the frame and onto the ground. It looked exactly like the frame except it was fully capped on both sides ... nothing about this in the book! For some reason the bees had not built on the foundation but in front of it. I think it was newbee(me)error and a bad frame. Anyway we gently sandwiched it between two frames and put it back. Do you think it will work? I spent the weekend watching my girls bring out their dead.
    By the way I have a source for very nice bees - all that drama and not one sting.

• txbeeguy
    15 years ago

Humm...you must be using some of that "plastic" foundation if you're describing a problem like that! (Even IF it's coated with beeswax). You don't tend to run into problems like that if you're using regular crip wire foundation. Now tell me; what are you using??? ....and tell me another thing: are we gona get to see that lizard sunbathing??

• tonybeeguy
    15 years ago

tx, That was the first thing that came into my head was plastic foundation.
    My bees were a little cranky this week. One from my Russian hive flew up and stung me on the hand. I scraped it of and rubbed a little dirt on it to try and mask the alarm pheremone. It was fine for a couple of minutes , then two more decided to join in. My wife said, "That's why I could never work with bees. You should have worn gloves" I said after the third one I put my gloves on. Oh well, another day or two of itching and it will be fine

• lisette1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As my hive develops the lizards are less bold. Yes, I used my dad's old plastic frames for the brood box. I really want to leave my girls alone for a while but I think I'll change to the wire frames as the opportunity arises. Thanks for the help. All I managed to get are some pictures of the lizard's head peeking out of the inner cover but this guy is very camera shy - I'll keep trying.

Sponsored