Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why have these bees survived??

Posted by love2weed Zn6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 20:46

My father was a beekeeper and kept a hive at our house. He passed away three years ago and my husband attempted to take of the hive and then discovered he was highly allergic to bee stings. Since then no one has taken care of the hive. We figured that it would only last a short while. But to our amazement, it is still going strong. It actually had a swarm last week. Any insight as to why these bees have survived? We live in a suburb of Louisville, Kentucky and we are on the outskirts of a park.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why have these bees survived??

You don't know for a fact that the bees did survive, you only know that the hive is active. They could as easily have died and then been inhabited by a swarm from someone elses managed hives.

o

No, these bees never died off.

o

I think Bamboo makes a good point. They could have died off, unless you went out and saw bees there every day. Every day.

However, they may the original survivors too. Maybe you have superior stock.

o

Swarming tends to break the brood cycle, breaking the brood cycle also helps deplete varroa mites.
That coupled with some favorable conditions might be the reason they survived if in fact they are the continuation of the original colony.

o

My friend's hive didn't make it through this past winter, but there are already new bees that decided to take over the hive. It happens so fast sometimes. It is possible that it is the original colony, but it is also possible that it isn't. Unless you check the hive often you can't be sure either way. In that amount of time it is possible for the hive to have had a few different colonies. Who knows?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here