Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barnabus_gw

Queen Excluder

Barnabus
18 years ago

Hi:

I just finished reading some information on the International Beemasters web site and the information was from two major bee keepers.

They were saying that you should NOT use a queen excluder on your hives. The article says hives without the excluder produces more extractable honey than with the QE. It seems the worker bees will put the honey in the brood box rather than going through the QE to the supers there by using space that should be used for brood. That would of course reduces the area for brood. It goes on to say that the queen want come up to the supers as long as she has room in the brood boxes. By not using the QE a high percentage of the honey from the brood box would then be in the supers and that would give her more room in the brood boxes. They recomend using two brood boxes then place the supers on top as needed, one actually stacks several supers on at one time. If the queen should happen to go up in the supers and there is brood then you don't extract that frame. It wasn't exactly clear what they did with the frame with the brood I suppose they put it back in the hive someway.

Does eanyone here at this forum do that.

What about your openioon on this practice

I'm just a beginner and want to do the best things, for the bees and myself, to be a sucessful bee keeper.

Thanks for any comment

Barnabus

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals