Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new hive - normal behavior?

Posted by jewel1130 CA (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 11 at 21:46

I'm new to beekeeping and installed my package two weeks ago. Checking the hive today, I'm not sure I have any eggs/brood and couldn't find my queen. I see some capped cells aorund the edges of frames...but they are capped with a very thin, white material..so I think they may be honey instead of brood? The bees have been bringing in a lot of nectar and pollen, so I wasn't too worried until today.

In one of my middle frames, in the center of the frame, the bees are building three queen cells. Would they do this if their new queen was there/doing her job?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new hive - normal behavior?

A picture would be helping a bit...outer capped cell is usually
honey, they leave the center open for queen to lay in.
Pollen is usually a sign that a queen is around. Too bad you only have one hive... If you had two packages installed you could compare. Center queen cells are usually supercedure cells, it seems the queen might still be around. I would check again and if absolutely no queen is around and eggs then a
a new queen would be in order, bees make queen cells allot,.. emergency cells encase they need it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Are They Supersedure or Swarm Cells?

o

I wonder if I can hop in here, too. I have two hives and I botched both installations to the point where I'm not the least bit certain I have queens in either.
I'm a little embarrassed to ask this, but when I inspected the top bar hive bars with hanging comb, the comb was covered with bees. I presume I am to brush those bees off the comb in order to inspect it? I am hoping to somehow discover some queen activity, but I could barely see the comb for the bees.

o

No problem... don't know, I don't run top bar hives. I can see when comb building takes place on one or a couple of bars you have tons of bees gathered tightly together an almost not possible to see brood.
I find the brush is the worst tool in bee keeping, it makes bees angry, I don't use it anymore, a feather would be better to gently move them. I would use a bit of smoke to make them move a little until you see comb. I know, top bar is getting popular lately for good reason's but it has it's drawback, [many] not something I like to start in the near future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here