Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alinla

I might know the answer for CCD

alinla
16 years ago

I really dont want to post my finding on this open forum about Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) because I am not a beekeeper (although I really want to become one), but I have a strong suspicion about a mosquito control product. I want the researchers to look into the situation and determine if my suspicion is valid. I emailed my finding to them. Unfortunately, they are overwhelmed by stacks of emails and my email is just a tiny little piece in the stacks. I heard that only 30% bees left in the states today and that really makes me very nervous. I hope people can start to think about my finding, if they believe I may be right, just temporary stop using this product until the researchers find the real cause of CCD.

My relationship with bees started three years ago when I decided to build a wild life friendly cottage garden with a natural fishless pond in it. When flowers are blooming and the pond is filled with water and plants, lots of bees and dragon flies come to visit my garden and pond. I really enjoy watching and observing them. But there is one problem comes with a pond without fish: Mosquitoes.

I donÂt put fish in my pond because they will eat dragon fly nymphs and tadpoles. How to solve the mosquito problem? ThereÂs a popular product on the market that does a wonderful job by killing the mosquito in their larva stage. It looks like a donut; you put some in pond or any water container. It floats and releases BT (Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies: a bacteria based insecticide) on water surface. When mosquito larvae come to the water surface to breathe, they take some BT and get die within a few days. I was a little bit skittish to use this product at first. But they say it kills nothing but mosquito larvae. After tried it several times, it seems their claim is true. It really does a wonderful job for mosquito control. It has been getting more and more popular in the last couple of years. You can find this product in any major hardware or garden supply store nationwide. Even governments have started to use this product for mosquito control in large areas of still water.

Since last year, only few bees come to visit my garden and drink in my pond. Worker bees need to drink lots of water when working on the fields. I see them keep doing the round trip fly between collecting pollen from flowers and drinking water in my pond. They usually land on my duck weeds and drink the surface water from there. I think they must prefer to drink from the still water than running water. It is the same condition that mosquito larvae prefer. Larger still waters may have also been treated by BT in recent years for mosquito control.

According to EPA report, BT has minimal toxicity to honey bees. (It is not non-toxic.) After worker bees drink lots of this treated water, do they get enough toxins to weaken their immune system and get killed by this product or other pests or fungus? The time frame of CCD seems to match the popularity of this product. It may also explain why the queen and young bees are not infected, because they usually donÂt go to the fields and get their water supply from the source that is provided by beekeepers.

I love bees and really worry about CCD. But I am not a beekeeper yet and canÂt prove my theory. I also donÂt want to hurt a good company and a wonderful product. Please reply to this post and help us and our bees solve this mystery.

FYI: I donÂt use this product in my pond any more. I am lucky enough to have a pair of pacific tree frogs that moved into my pond and do a really good job of mosquito control. This year they gave birth to at least 50 tadpoles with still more to come. :)

AL in LA

Comments (10)

• zephyray
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's not just individuals applying toxic chemicals to bodies of water. It's government bodies on various levels. And it's all kinds of chemicals in waters all the way from ponds to rivers to lakes. I once saw a guy working for the county who after applyng his spray just upend two large sprayers full of the glyphosate chemical Rodeo into a lake.

The below link is an example. This one is Maine.

This one sounds restrictive but I've seen similar lists for other states in the past that weren't so regulated.

• eibren
    16 years ago

Is there an agency of the US government that is positioned to address this question?

It sounds like a good explanation for the problem. A lot of people who don't observe the worker bees in the field would not realize they drink so much water so far from home.

• omygoddess
    16 years ago

alinla, I am not a scientist either. I think that you are probably right. Did you know that dna from BT is what they have used in GMO corn? GMO corn pollen has been proven dangerous to monarch butterfly larvae. The small article I saw years ago was buried in the back section of the paper and indicated that the butterflies survival as a species might even be threatened. All reference to this disappeared. I tried to look it up on the internet and it seems that there is more info. trying to discredit the scientist that on the actual study. I find it extremely strange...Please refer to my posting on CCD 7/29/07. I am not a beekeeper either. I would not expect that there will be any help from the government...or any of the companies associated with this product. The only thing we can do, is try to protect bees from sources of this pathogen. I have already heard that there are no cornfield that have not been compromised by GMO corn, as it combines readily with normal corn through natural processes.

• steven_stephentree_com
    16 years ago

The heart is a rose, and the fragrance draws the life we need.

As it was in the beginning my life, when I was the honeybee and You were my apple tree
    For then, it was the fragrance of Your heart that drew me to You
    Remember, we let the seaswells rise in the air
    We let the mountains crumble, we did not care
    Whatever happened I was the honeybee and You were my apple tree
    I was Your Prince, Your Wizard, Your lion of Judah
    Anything You desired, I brought it to You DNATREE

Starting in 1993 a great passion to Reach You led me to write a book called "Wild hearted Romance with Spirit" it was about the smallest of points overlooked by "thinking" and how the JOLT of the Storms and Tsunami's would be coming. Read the adventures of how I left florida in 2001 to go to California in order to do the project with the coming Storms in order to reach family and my daughter Raine that misunderstood the true intentions of my heart related to Synchronicities (meaningful coincidences)

http://Stephentree.com
    http://www.stephentree.com/predict1.htm

The right people love their interpretation more than they love each other and will demand You worship that interpretation. The smallest of points they overlooked will soon alter the largest of equations and render all the interpretations meaningless.

Let go of the veil of interpretation given You by those that never knew me (Jesus, the heart, synchronicity) For they never knew the true intentions of their hearts.

• barbara_muret
    15 years ago

a friend recently said humans were like cockroaches invading the earth... I'm a gentler person and would never think in those terms but I think he has a "truism"

disappearing natural habitat without pesticides is a huge part

CCD is caused by weaken immune systems

the same things that weakens the immune systems also kills the bees

pesticides, stress of being moved by trucks constantly, being robbed of all honey and fed High Fructose Corn Syrup, being fed all one crop, then all one other crop, then all one other crop - without natural variations, too much chemical intervention in the hives...

my sincere apology to any who disagree, it is a forum, and it is my soft heart opinion

bees did fine for thousandsof years before human intervention

• lisette1
    15 years ago

My hive is almost a year old. During a routin inspection I saw some small hive beatles. I treated the ground and waited about 2 weeks. Today I opened my hive to find still lots of active beatles. I have plenty of bees and lots of empty dark comb but no stored honey. I live in southeast Texas where my bees can find plenty to eat all year long but I don't think my hive has been able to get ahead of the infestation. I wanted to avoid any direct applications of pesticide but I am now open to any suggestions?

• paperscratcher3
    15 years ago

I belive the main reason why the bees are dying off, is because of the DOR-(Dead Orgone Radiation) blasting out of the mobile phone towers everywhere. This energy is very bad for all life. The bees seem to be very sensitive to this energy. But you can stop this energy from effecting you, your family, and your bees. You can make Orgone generators!!! Iv'e made alot of these and i belive they def. do wark very good. Ive also seen ALOT more bees around my house and town. You mix together fiberglass resin, Quartz crystals, and metal shavings. Aluminum works best also you can use copper and brass shavings. THIS STUFF WORKS and will keep you safe and the bees!!! HEAL MOTHER EARTH!!!

• paperscratcher3
    15 years ago

Here is a like that tells you about orgone generators-http://www.educate-yourself.org/dc/orgonegenindex.shtml

Here is a link for a video on youtube that guides you on how to make your orgone generators-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCOic3MuVLQ&feature=channel_page

• davimi
    15 years ago

I think paper is on to something. I was just going to sing to them. I was sure that would solve the problem but now I think I will build that generator.

• laureyssens
    15 years ago

the reason of CCD is fundemental,the bees have also a purpose in life. pollinate and help the plants reproduce
    with all the tings gooing on,GMO's , seedless fruits,weedkillers kill plants ,they become disoriented,sick and they kill themselves a beelaw ,to keep
    the colony healthy don't count on the gouvernment to do something about.the beekeepers have to stick together alert
    their rep's and congresman and denonce the facts. take all
    the agencies and the makers of the stuff to court for a permanent ban.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner