Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thousands of bees in swarm on sidewalk

Posted by stlgal south z5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 23:09

I've never posted here before, but saw a very strange thing on my front sidewalk--a dark 'puddle' about 2 feet in diameter located under a maple tree and comprised entirely of what appear to be small golden bees. There must be thousands of them in there. They are crawling over each other and appear to be all alive but staying in this grounded swarm on the front sidewalk.

I got fairly close and a few were flying out of the pile and back but none paid me any attention. But I'm worried that someone's dog will disrupt the swarm while out walking on that sidewalk tomorrow and harm will come to bees, dogs and maybe people.

Any idea why they're doing this or what we should do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thousands of bees in swarm on sidewalk

Looks like a recent swarmed hive from somewhere close by and landed on a weird place, perhaps the Queen got insured and can't fly no more?
Please,...see if you can find a local keeper to have them scooped up.

o
St. Louis beekeepers?

We've put a couple of barriers on either side of the swarm to prevent early runners and dog walkers from accidentally disturbing the swarm, as long as people keep their pets leashed. I've also just gotten a few pictures--I think I may have managed to upload them via url here.

If there are any beekeepers in the vicinity of St. Louis, I'd especially appreciate their help or advice with this.

Here is a link that might be useful: my bees

o
Three rivers beekeepers

I left an email with the pics with the Three Rivers Beekeepers, which was the local organization that came up when I googled. Any other help or advice is appreciated as now I've got to give up the ghost and hope all's well tomorrow and we can find a solution.

o
bees collected

Thanks for that suggestion Konrad--the Beekeepers got in touch with me this morning. Sounds like they are going to stop by to collect our lost bees sometime today.

o
RE: thousands of bees in swarm on sidewalk

Good! This is a small swarm, my guess a after swarm of Italian race with a virgin queen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here