Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guatemala Bee Swarm

Posted by jgoller (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 05 at 23:21

Hello bee experts.

4 days ago we noticed a bee swarm about the size and shape of an upside down pineapple, hanging from the ceiling of our outdoor entryway to our office. Not knowing what to do, I went online to find the answer. I've since learned the following:

1) Swarms are supposedly normally docile - so long as you don't mess with them.
2) They are supposedly just hanging around waiting until the scouts find a new colony, and should go away in a few days or so.
3) That the only way to get rid of them seems to be to call in the experts.

Herein lies my problem. I am an expat living in Guatemala and there are no beekeepers to call. I am sure there is the"Guatemalan way" to get rid of them, but I don't want to see them killed. However, I do know that there is a possibility that this swarm may be of the "Africanized" variety - due to my geographic location in the world.

Does anyone have any advice about what I should do? I don't want to kill the bees, but I don't want to jeopardize our entire office if there is a possibility that they might get pissed off and attack someone as they are coming into work.

Shouldn't they have gone away by now (4 days)? Is it possible that they're planning to stay forever?

Thanks so much for time and advice!

Best regards,
James Goller

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guatemala Bee Swarm

Hi! You can find beekeepers to call in Guatemala (Where have you been looking for?). And there is a good "servicio de agricultura" and "cooperativas agrcolas" that can help you.
The Guatemalteco way can be so good as the Canadian (for example) one.
P.D.: Dont touch a four days old swarm, because it is angriest every day. (que no toques el enjambre pasados unos das porque se va poniendo agresivo al ir consumiendo la miel de reserva). Suerte.

o

African bees are noted for their ability to have long lived swarms and open combs. Not too much messes with them.
Excellent advice form Merops.

o

Thanks guys.

The swarm is still there, after 6 or 7 days. I guess it's not going away... I'll try to find a local beekeeper, but it's not that easy to do.

But are these bees really potentially dangerous? I mean, as long as we don't touch them, they probably won't do anything.??

P.Pete: What's an open comb? Is that a swarm that never goes away, e.g., makes a permanent home hanging from the ceiling in my office?

Cheers
James

o

Africanized bees can just hang comb from the branch that the swarm is hanging in. Then it becomes a colony and no longer a swarm... and defensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here