Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgoller

Guatemala Bee Swarm

jgoller
18 years ago

Hello bee experts.

4 days ago we noticed a bee swarm about the size and shape of an upside down pineapple, hanging from the ceiling of our outdoor entryway to our office. Not knowing what to do, I went online to find the answer. I've since learned the following:

1) Swarms are supposedly normally docile - so long as you don't mess with them.

2) They are supposedly just hanging around waiting until the scouts find a new colony, and should go away in a few days or so.

3) That the only way to get rid of them seems to be to call in the experts.

Herein lies my problem. I am an expat living in Guatemala and there are no beekeepers to call. I am sure there is the¨"Guatemalan way" to get rid of them, but I don't want to see them killed. However, I do know that there is a possibility that this swarm may be of the "Africanized" variety - due to my geographic location in the world.

Does anyone have any advice about what I should do? I don't want to kill the bees, but I don't want to jeopardize our entire office if there is a possibility that they might get pissed off and attack someone as they are coming into work.

Shouldn't they have gone away by now (4 days)? Is it possible that they're planning to stay forever?

Thanks so much for time and advice!

Best regards,

James Goller

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions