Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisbud4u

removing old wax buildup with propane torch

thisbud4u
16 years ago

As many of you know, bees have very sensitive noses. They especially don't like having the insides of their homes painted. Today, a friend of mine removed the old wax from some frames and boxes with a propane torch. The wood didn't get burned, but just a trifle toasty perhaps. My question is, has anybody done this? and if so, do the bees mind the smell of slightly toasted wood?

On a side-note, if bees will tolerate this treatment, it could be a great way to disinfect hive equipment that has been abandoned by bees following CCD. We now know that there is at least one pathogenic organism that is causing CCD and we also know that it is transmitted on hive equipment. The chances of such an organism surviving the direct assault of a propane torch is pretty close to zero, so this might be a good way to disinfect hive boxes. However, this approach is predicated on the belief (as yet untested, by me at least) that bees wouldn't mind the smell.

If anyone knows for sure, please post here.

Ah, one more note: is it considered uncool to cross-post this thread on the Beesource (it would be I guess if alot of you are reading both bulletin boards).

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio