Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Bumble Bee House

Konrad___far_north
17 years ago

I'm surprised, the house I have built for them is being used!

Taken a pic with a bumble was not so easy, with a blink of a eye, the bumble queen is in or out!

Konrad

{{gwi:429781}}

Here, the queen is leaving the house.

{{gwi:426876}}

Comments (11)

• jbdollar
    17 years ago

Would you be able to post the dimensions of the box and hole size? Thanks

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sure, give me some time, have to go out and mesure it up.
    I have just taken appr. dimension from this video.

http://mkat.iwf.de/mms/metafiles/02000018060220000000_lo.as
    x

If you have problem opening it, please search here for bumble bee video.

Konrad

• thisbud4u
    17 years ago

Konrad, Couldn't open that video. Would love to know dimensions of your BB house. Tx.

• kara123
    14 years ago

I would be very interested in making some bumble bee boxes. I love my bumbles nd want to keep them around! Thanks!

• JamesY40
    14 years ago

The bumble bees in my yard have drilled holes in the underside of my arbor. For the longest time, i wondered how the holes got there until I saw one go inside. James

• gyozu
    14 years ago

Jamesy40: You might want to try and get a closer look. It is possible that your Bumble Bees are really Carpenter Bees.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hopefully I get some dimension tomorrow, they are not at home, out in the nursery.
    I set them on a fencepost facing west, about 4 feet up, I had luck the first season with one entry, [two boxes]
    I figured, the fence wire make a kind of "ring", when the wind blows and this could disturb the bees,
    I then moved them the following year onto a lone standing post but I had no nest this season.
    Not sure what I will do this year, perhaps I move them onto a tree.
    I don't think size is too critical, same with opening, I almost think the hole could be on the bottom too.
    One could experiment with different design's.
    I had clay pots buried into the ground with ends [hole] sticking up on a slant but no take.
    Konrad

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok... the house is made from 3/8 thick material, measurement to
    the outside is 4" x 4" by 6" tall, the entrance hole 3/4".
    The house is filled with paper insulation material, right up to the hole, from home depot.
    Konrad

• rjinga
    14 years ago

Do the bees just KNOW to get into this box? what's the appeal? do they stay there year round?

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Queen bumbles constantly look for a new home in spring, If they find
    what they're looking for they stay and start making a nest. They
    stay for one season, new bumbles are raised and only from this brood
    one or more queens will overwinter. I have seen one today when digging, transplanting trees,
    a HUGE queen bumble came and checked out the
    pile of dirt.

Konrad

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's been now several years since I started making houses, ..overall, I'm not too pleased with the results. Just a little disappointed that not more bumbles use this home.
    I have also tried with several clay pots dug a little into the ground, laid down sideways, never one's a bumble nested.

One of my owl houses was occupied by them one year, took some pictures at the end of season, [low number of bees].

{{gwi:429920}}

{{gwi:426875}}

I know that bumbles like moss, have seen many bumble nest in the ground,..as a child in Switzerland, on a hill/shade side was mostly moss, I could find many nest there.

I might just fill the houses with moss and see, have build another 5 and I will place the entrance holes on different spots, perhaps paint with yellow around the hole.

This house is about 16 feet up on a tree, pretty shady in the bush. Never had owls but Northern flying squirrel were in it one time, perhaps they got the moss inside?

{{gwi:429921}}

Please share your experience with attracting bumbles to your home. Allot of natural habitat gets destroyed by man, hopefully we can help a little.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner