Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bumble Bee House

Posted by konrad___far_north 3 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 10, 06 at 0:42

I'm surprised, the house I have built for them is being used!
Taken a pic with a bumble was not so easy, with a blink of a eye, the bumble queen is in or out!
Konrad
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here, the queen is leaving the house.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bumble Bee House

Would you be able to post the dimensions of the box and hole size? Thanks

o

Sure, give me some time, have to go out and mesure it up.
I have just taken appr. dimension from this video.

http://mkat.iwf.de/mms/metafiles/02000018060220000000_lo.as
x

If you have problem opening it, please search here for bumble bee video.

Konrad

o

Konrad, Couldn't open that video. Would love to know dimensions of your BB house. Tx.

o

I would be very interested in making some bumble bee boxes. I love my bumbles nd want to keep them around! Thanks!

o

The bumble bees in my yard have drilled holes in the underside of my arbor. For the longest time, i wondered how the holes got there until I saw one go inside. James

o

• Posted by gyozu 7 Winston-Salem, NC (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 20:50

Jamesy40: You might want to try and get a closer look. It is possible that your Bumble Bees are really Carpenter Bees.

o

Hopefully I get some dimension tomorrow, they are not at home, out in the nursery.
I set them on a fencepost facing west, about 4 feet up, I had luck the first season with one entry, [two boxes]
I figured, the fence wire make a kind of "ring", when the wind blows and this could disturb the bees,
I then moved them the following year onto a lone standing post but I had no nest this season.
Not sure what I will do this year, perhaps I move them onto a tree.
I don't think size is too critical, same with opening, I almost think the hole could be on the bottom too.
One could experiment with different design's.
I had clay pots buried into the ground with ends [hole] sticking up on a slant but no take.
Konrad

o

Ok... the house is made from 3/8 thick material, measurement to
the outside is 4" x 4" by 6" tall, the entrance hole 3/4".
The house is filled with paper insulation material, right up to the hole, from home depot.
Konrad

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 9:59

Do the bees just KNOW to get into this box? what's the appeal? do they stay there year round?

o

Queen bumbles constantly look for a new home in spring, If they find
what they're looking for they stay and start making a nest. They
stay for one season, new bumbles are raised and only from this brood
one or more queens will overwinter. I have seen one today when digging, transplanting trees,
a HUGE queen bumble came and checked out the
pile of dirt.

Konrad

o

It's been now several years since I started making houses, ..overall, I'm not too pleased with the results. Just a little disappointed that not more bumbles use this home.
I have also tried with several clay pots dug a little into the ground, laid down sideways, never one's a bumble nested.

One of my owl houses was occupied by them one year, took some pictures at the end of season, [low number of bees].

Aug. 21, 2011 photo IMG_9077.jpg

Aug. 21, 2011 photo IMG_9158.jpg

I know that bumbles like moss, have seen many bumble nest in the ground,..as a child in Switzerland, on a hill/shade side was mostly moss, I could find many nest there.

I might just fill the houses with moss and see, have build another 5 and I will place the entrance holes on different spots, perhaps paint with yellow around the hole.

This house is about 16 feet up on a tree, pretty shady in the bush. Never had owls but Northern flying squirrel were in it one time, perhaps they got the moss inside?

Northern Flying Squirrel photo IMG_4036_1_1_1.jpg

Please share your experience with attracting bumbles to your home. Allot of natural habitat gets destroyed by man, hopefully we can help a little.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here