Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Bees From A Residential Wall

Posted by orinlouis San Diego, CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 07 at 3:01

Hey All,
Sorry if this has already been asked before. I searched and could not find the answer. Unfortunately, it seems as if most people suggest either killing the bees myself or having someone else do it. Ideally, I would like to relocate them, but that is not looking like it will be possible, according to the advice from this board and other online research. Leaving them there is not an option either, as they are taking over a section of the house. Truth be told, they are actually in a friend's wall, and I do not yet know if they are honeybees or yellowjacket wasps, but I have learned from this board that it is important to know which they are. I have also learned that even if we do successfully relocate them, since it is not Spring, they will die anyway because they can't rebuild outside of Spring. This info has all been gleaned, and may be incorrect. I am not an apiary genius, and although it is very interesting, am more interested in removing these guys, than knowing everything about them. If anyone could help, it would be great bee karma. I know you're all very buzzy....hahaha. Probably haven't heard that one in five minutes or so, huh? I'm a nerd. I know. Thanks for your time.

Orin
orinlouis@yahoo.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Bees From A Residential Wall

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 2:01

Try to find a local Beekeepers group. They will either have one or more members willing to help, or may be able to suggest someone.

Or locate a beekeeping supply store.

Also, perhaps your county's Extension Service office can suggest someone.

o

I do a lot of bee removals. In your climate the bees will have no problem getting re-established. As long as something is blooming, they can rebuild. Removing them depends on a lot of factors including the construction of the house and how much demolition you are willing to live with. Brick homes can be a real problem as most people don't want to remove brickwork. You can also remove sheetrock or paneling inside to get at them. Trapping them out is another possibility, but it is a long process, probably a couple of months, and it is not a sure process. Then you still need to deal with the honey in the walls. Killing them is a particularly bad idea because it leaves the honey and wax to melt in the walls.

o

this post is late, but i thought i would provide this input since many new people search for the "removing bees" info. please don't chastise me for my actions, i am submitting this only because my experience may help. I had a swarm show up at my house in June also, and focus on a small construction hole in my stucco wall. i discoveredit just as they were setting up house. i spent several hours trying to find someone to capture the hive, no luck, and found no info online either about how to repell them, other than some obscure mention about tests with aromatic oils - cinnamon oil i think. i was in a panic, because this old house has no insulation in the walls, so the bees could concievably get into the attic and into the house through other construction holes. It came down to bee removal companies wanting to charge $250 to destroy swarm. I figured i could kill them for the cost of my spray can of wasp killer, and with a heavy heart, i sprayed into the hole, so that the product dripped down inside the hollow walls. The incredibly good news is that my product was a so called "green" product made with 0.5% eugenol (oil of cloves i think). Within seconds the entire swarm came rushing out of the hole, regrouped around the queen on a nearby bush for the next two days while the scouts found a new home, and then left for parts unknown. there were less than 10 bodies in the area afterwards, and my flower beds are covered in happy bees. i closely monitored the swarm for those two days, and to my untrained eyes they showed no ill effects - still lots of searching, flying, feeding, and trying to re-enter the now blocked hole. the repellent affect of the eugenol also worked for those two days. i realize this post will cause many to cringe, but i had no available options that day, and i wanted to post this to allow people to evaluate the affect of the eugenol. the product is "Raid Earth Options Wasp & Hornet killer". i do not use pesticides anywhere in my yard because of my native & honey bee population, and have this one can only because my wasp population is so healthy, they sometimes start nests right under my doorway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here