Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Hive Beetle in Seattle

Posted by ballardbeebopper WA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 4:12

I started two hives this spring with packages from the Puget Sound Beekeepers Association. One of the hives became infested with small beetles that look exactly like photos of small hive beetles within the first two weeks of hiving. I've called everyone from the Dept. of Agriculture to the Beekeepers Association and nobody seems to know anything about them or care that they are here. Any advice? Surely somebody in Wa State is concerned or working on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Hive Beetle in Seattle

I would not worry about because in South Carolina they are everywhere unless there are tons of them one way to stop them is to put the hives in direct sun or keep the area around it raked and dry. Also chickens keep bugs away from the hive. Happy Beekeeping! -Alex

o
RE: Small Hive Beetle in Seattle

I have a hive infected with SHB also. I built a beetle trap for mine and so far I have trapped about 275 beetles in about 3 weeks time. I know beekeeper 961 said don't worry about it but they can destroy your hive if you don't control them. You can get the plans to build your own or buy it already made at www.greenbeehives.com. Click on DIY Small Hive Beetle Trap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here