Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosypiuk_gw

combs

mosypiuk
18 years ago

I started this year, so I do not have combs just foundation. If the bees are in two deep suppers can you put the shellow one between them to force them make combs faster?

Comments (6)

• amymcg
    18 years ago

You can put them however you like, just beaware that when they draw the comb that way, you will have brood in it.

The bees will draw it as they need it. Feeding will stimulate wax production, but be advised that any honey they store as a result will be "syrup honey" and not real honey.

I added my super between the deeps and when they started to draw it out, I moved it up top and put the excluder in after making sure the queen wasn't in it.

• mosypiuk
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the response. Actually, I have this quite strong family, and I put excluder and shallow super with foundation on top. But they are reluctant to draw the combs. So I thought that if I put it between the brood chambers they would do this quicker, and than I would move the super on top. BTW i.m in Franklin, MA, any idea when is the main nectar flow here?

• amymcg
    18 years ago

Good question. There seems to be a pretty good flow on right now. Lots of flowering trees.

I would do this: put the shallow between the deeps put the excluder on top of the whole thing, then the inner cover then the top so it should look like this from the bottom up: Deep Shallow Deep Excluder Inner Cover Outer Cover. After a week, check the shallow for wax drawing, if they've started to draw it, then swap the order so it's Deep Deep Excluder Shallow. Are they storing honey in one of the deeps right now?

Frank Lagrant thinks that if you get the excluder in the hive for a week or so before putting it between the deeps and shallows that the hive will work through it better because it will smell right. . .

You can also try removing the excluder altogether. . . She probably won't lay in it at this point.

If you're not at beemaster already, here's a link There's a good group on there and a handful of massachusetts people

Here is a link that might be useful: Beemaster

• mosypiuk
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, looks like a good plan.

• Frank_Bees
    18 years ago

Without question, placing the shallow super between the two deep supers to allow the bees to draw out and fill, some three or so of the shallow frames, is the way to go. They need to fill and begin to cap, before moving them up. Just drawing them out may not be enough. Otherwise, one can end up, as many beekeepers do, with a honeybound hive and lose the season's honey crop. When transferring the shallow up, be sure not to transfer the queen along with it, before placing the excluder under said shallow. Don't be concerned about brood in the shallow frames.

• RUDE_RUDY
    18 years ago

I have a similar situation in that my bees have not drawn comb in the shallow super on top of two deeps, both of the deeps have been drawn out.
    My question is. Would it cause a problem to put it this way?
    Deep,excluder, Shallow, Deep, inner cover Outer cover?
    As long as the queen is in the lower deep would this work to get comb drawn in the shallow and keep brood out of it?
    Also how would this effect the processes of brood rearing, honey capping etc. going on in the top deep?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH