Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees won't go into Honey Supers

Posted by bdodd444 Z7 No Virginia (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 10:28

I have a very strong hive which is jam packed with bees. The problem is that all of the bees are staying in the two deep supers and not going up into the honey supers. I don't know if it is the queen excluder which is deterring them or what. A few bees have made it up and drawn out a few combs, but nothing else. Any advice would be appreciated to get them up there. Thanks.

Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees won't go into Honey Supers

Reading to George Imirie, master beekeeper, says that you have to add the queen excluder when bees are working confortable in the super.
You add the supers, when bees are working on it, add excluder.

o

Sometimes you could bait them with a frame from the brood below for a week or so.
To really get them going up, you need a good honey flow.
Konrad

o

You can trick them into going into the supers by adding an entrance above the excluder and between some or all of the supers. Brushy Mountain sells entrances (10 frame Imirie Shim) for $2.00 each. Bulk discounts too. I have them on all my hives. Also provides additional ventalation. Bees will use them immediately.

I have found the bees will fill the gap between the supers where you have the shim with comb, so you have to occasionally clean the extra comb out.

James Henderson
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushy Mountain Bee Farm

o

Thank you very much to everyone for your replies. I removed the queen excluder as suggested and they are already moving up. Thanks again.

Brian

o

• Posted by ccrb1 z5 IND (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 23:07

Really, the queen excluder is not needed if you're not making comb honey. Some brood in honey frames is not a big deal although it makes them more attractive to wax moths during winter storage.

The loss due to a queen excluder can be significant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here