Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
montego_gw

Should I get rid of my new hive??

montego
13 years ago

I am an absolute newbie when it comes to bees, and I just got through hiving my first colony yesterday. I wore gloves, veil, and long pants, but unfortunately short sleeve shirt. Everything was fine until most of the bees were in the hive, then they discovered my exposed arm and starting going crazy on it. I was going to just finish hiving until they starting going up into my shirt and stinging along the way. I walked away (finished hiving later with a long sleeve shirt) and nothing immediate happened. I got stung probably 15 times though and (dumb mistake #2) pulled the stingers out with tweezers (pumping every last drop of venom into me). So I probably got the venom load of many more than 15 stings.

About 6 hours later I started having bad stomach muscle cramps and we are now about 18 hours out and I am now having fever, fatigue, general muscle aches, and mild sore joint around my elbows. Although on the internet it says these are major allergy symptoms I have had absolutely NO itching, sign of infection, nausea, headache, hives, swelling, or trouble breathing/chest tightness. Benadryl and tylenol are helping a lot.

My wife wants me to immediately ditch the hive but I think this response is really a result of the high venom load more than anything. This was the result of my own inexperience and dumb mistakes, not the bees fault. I want to keep the hive and just say lesson learned... what do you think??

Comments (7)

• candie1230
    13 years ago

I say keep it and be careful next time.

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Yes,....you can to better then 15 stings.... I get 5 max. with
    shorts and T shirt.

• marlingardener
    13 years ago

Lesson learned. Now, keep your hive--you are sensitive to bee stings (especially that many) but you are not allergic, which is why you didn't have the breathing problems, blurred vision, etc.
    Next time wear a long sleeved shirt and take a Benadryl or two about an hour before you work the bees. IF you are stung, the benadryl will alleviate the symptoms.
    Recent studies have shown that getting the stinger out quickly is most effective. How you remove it doesn't matter (pull, scrape) the point is to remove it.
    Beekeeping is a wonderful pastime, and can be profitable, also. Bees generally are very calm. Do you have a smoker? Did you spray them down with sugar water? Were you sweating? Bees for some reason love perspiration. You'd think they'd hang out in a football locker room . . . .

• cpp6318
    13 years ago

That's a lot of venom for someone who's not used to it. Wait a week and then sting yourself once when someone will be around to help if something goes wrong. From my understanding, allergies develop from close proximity without a full dose(as in kids rubbing up against a suit with stingers in it without getting stung) and from sudden overdose. Sting yourself on purpose and make sure you can handle it before you continue with the bees.

• kchendershott
    13 years ago

My husband got more than 40 stings when he dropped the box when hiving the new packages the first year we started. He blew up, threw up, heart raced, and was sick for a month. (No trouble breathing, however.) He refused to go to the hospital but finally ended up on steroids for a couple weeks because of recurring hives. I refused to let him near the hives the first year because I was convinced he was allergic until the doctor said it was all normal for someone receiving that many stings. Now he helps me with heavy lifting and swarm catching, but I make sure he is fully suited up and I keep an Epi-pen handy just in case. I have virtually no reaction after the first year of getting one or two stings, but usually suit up anyways. I really feel that the bees are calmer if you are calmer - because you aren't worried about multiple stings in a suit. It gets awful hot, though.

• beekeeper961
    13 years ago

Well with 15 stings wow no wonder your having other symptoms that's a lot. But just be sure to use a smoker and wear long sleeves. And your probably not allergic but just keep some Benadryl with you and an Epi-pen just in case. Happy Beekeeping! -Alex

• randy41_1
    13 years ago

buy a bee suit or jacket and relax and enjoy.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz