Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no bees!

Posted by oldbiddy z8 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 11:50

I know absolutely nothing about bees but depend on them for pollination and fruitset in my garden. I just noticed that there are absolutely no honeybees (or other bees of any kind) and very few insect pollinators of any kind this year! This after having many years of many bees and pollinators in my garden. Was just wondering if anyone here knew what was going on with them? My husband suggested that maybe a neighbor had moved their beehives when the owner died. But that would not explain the almost complete absence of other bees and pollinators. I always have lemon balm, vitex trees, flowers, etc. to attract them as well. We live near Austin, TX.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no bees!

Most beekeepers are suffering large losses lately. In the past 10-15 years, bees have been battling two types of mites that have had devasting consequences. It's possible that your neighbors moved their hives, but there are very few wild pollinators left.

You're doing the right things to attract them, but they have to be there to attract.

Why not keep bees yourself?

o

I may just do that! Until then, it is very sad about the bees dying....I very much miss their presence in my garden this year! Very sad thing.

o

I make gardeners into beekeepers. Unfortunately I'm too far away from you. Suggest you contact your county extension agent for help locating a beekeeping association or local beekeeper who can mentor you as you start.

You sound like you'd make a fine beekeeper. You want to be part of the solution rather than just complain about the problem.

o

Take a look at the link below. There are several Texas beekeepers on that forum, and everyone is very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beemaster

o

This may need a new thread, but I had used a product by 'Green Light' called 'Fire Ant Control with Conserve' which was recommended by a local nursery for fire ants. He said that it was an organic control and wouldn't hurt any wildlife or good bugs. So I used it without reading the label just using his recommendation. Dumb, I know! Well, I noticed after using it, that there were a quite few bees with 2 heads, deformities, and others not acting normally early on in the season. Now there are none. I have never noticed the 2 headed thing before that. I then read the label on the aforementioned product and it says that it has a chemical called Spinosad in it and that it may be harmful to bees (I threw away the info by now so can't quote it exactly). Needless to say, I stopped using it immediately when I read that. Could that be the reason for the absolutely no bees problem now??

o

How long ago did you use it?

o

about 2 months ago....I think. But I only used a few tablespoonsful on a few mounds. But I did use it before I saw the 2 headed bees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here