Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All hives swarmed, seems unusual

Posted by kchendershott z5 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 12:31

I have four hives here at my house, and they have all swarmed within the last four days. Only one swarm could be retrieved, as the rest went to trees about 40 feet up. It happened after several days of cold and rain, so in the first few hours of sun - GRAND EXIT. They're Italians, and only one hive showed signs of swarm cells a couple weeks ago. They're not honey bound, they already have at least two supers on that were being worked well and the queens weren't even a year old yet. I'm mystified and frustrated. Anybody else experiencing extra swarming tendencies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All hives swarmed, seems unusual

Bummer!...
Looks like these hives are going into second year....that's when they
peak....then swarm if not being split.

Konrad

o
RE: All hives swarmed, seems unusual

Only healthy hives swarm so it looks like you did something right! Now just work on swarm control EARLY next season so that you don't have the same problem next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here