Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highcotton_2008

Getting rid of bees

highcotton_2008
15 years ago

I live in TX. just north of Houston and I believe I have a big bee problem. They are between the first and second floor of my home. They are above the garage, which is brick and below a gameroom, which is wood siding. They have been here for about 3 years. During this time, I've had several estimates on removal ranging from $2,000.00 to $3,000.00.

My husband is elderly (I'm not! Ha!) and he has been in poor health. First cancer (remission), then heart bypass, so he was off work almost a year. He's doing fine now, but it tapped us out financially and $2,000.00 is alot of money to us, right now! Also, I believe there is something strange going on with these bees. Always before, they would come out and buzz around quite a bit in late afternoon, then calm back down toward dark. Now, some of them are constantly buzzing around frantically, (like they are mad) while hundreds of them are hanging on top of each other outside their hive. It looks like a giant beard 2 feet long by 1 foot wide. They are hanging less than 10 feet from my front door. This has been going on for 3 days straight. I babysit children for extra income and I'm afraid to let them play outside. Is this normal bee behavior? Do you think they could be getting ready to abandon their hive? Could this be a colony breakdown? If so, when they leave, could I remove the honeycomb then? Also, has anyone had experience with homeowner's insurance paying for this? I'm almost afraid to ask my agent fearing I'll get cancelled! Your knowledge and advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Highcotton_2008

Comments (6)

• txbeeguy
    15 years ago

Let me try answering your questions in order. Yes, it's normal bee behavior. They aren't likely to abandon their "perfect" (from their perspective) home. In a manner of speaking, yes; not really a 'breakdown' - more likely a colony split (i.e., a swarm will be thrown off from the main hive) - a way of multiplying. They most likely won't be leaving of their own accord.

Interesting question you raise about insurance - I haven't a clue how an insurance company would react. Since Africanized bees (so-called, "killer bees") are in your area, it could be a concern for continued homeowners insurance coverage (at least the liability part of it). Since it's a relatively new problem, I'm just not sure insurance companies have adopted a standard, uniform approach to the issue.

I'm not surprised at the cost quotes you've received; it promises to be a rather difficult and involved removal (based on their location within the walls of your home).

You might try offering this problem to some new beekeeper(s), to allow them to try and "trap" them out of your house. It would take a beekeeper who would want to try to undertake this rather long and time consuming process. And I have to warn you: odds of success are very low. The only benefit, is that damage to your structure would be minimal. If you want to go this route, you'll have to explain your situation to one or more beekeeping clubs in the Houston area. Good luck!

• highcotton_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your most informative reply! I will definately check with the Houston area beekeeping clubs. I found a website for a lady named The Bee Wrangler that sometimes uses the trapping method and I just placed a call to her. I'm waiting to hear from her.
    Once more, Thank you!

• pls8xx
    15 years ago

It's been awhile since I've kept bees, but I've removed several hives from houses. Most modern houses have interior sheetrock walls. I never go in to the hive from outside the house. It's much cheaper and easier to cut the interior drywall.

In your case the bees may be in the space between floor joists for the second floor room. I would drill small holes in the garage ceiling to determine the extent of the hive. then I would cut the drywall along the edge of the joists and remove to gain access to the hive.

After the bees and all wax/ honey have been removed, new drywall will need to be installed to fill the hole. Some homeowners can do this themselves.

My bid would be around $100 to 200 to remove the hive. After the bees are gone, the homeowner would be responsible to clean the hive area to their satisfaction. Then if they wanted me to replace the drywall, float it, and apply a primer paint coat, the additional fee would run $200 to 400. Any surface texture or room repainting would have to be done by someone other than me.

• bandit_tx
    15 years ago

Insurance doesn't pay for pest control, be it termites, mice, roaches, or bees. The estimates you received are high, but it is Houston. I charge $100 an hour and I don't do repairs. It should not take more than half a day to remove them, so figure $500 minimum to $1000 tops. I concur that the bees are probably going to swarm and that will reduce the population temporarily.

• jmonette1
    15 years ago

I have discovered a beehive in a tree in my back yard and I am concerned about safety. I hate to destroy them as I know how valuable they are. I think it has been there for a little while at least, there are three "Layers" of honeycomb with a fourth being worked on now. I know little to nothing about bees but I know even non-africanized bees will attack if provoked. I have a dog and a cat and a 14 year old daughter, we have a pool but it is on the opposite side of the yard. Is it safe to leave it there? They have not reacted to lawn mowers or barking dogs. Also what keeps it attached to the underside of the tree limb so it does not melt off in the 100 degree heat we have been having? Thanks, Jan

• buzzbee
    15 years ago

Just be sure not to poison to get rid of them. A colony minus the bees will eventually have combs breaking down and the residue and honey,which will spoil if not capped any longer,will seep out from wherever it is. It is best to be sure bees,combs and all are removed.