Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Install Observation Window in Beehive?

Posted by hanknsuzi MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 08 at 13:12

I've seen many articles about Observation Hives, but nothing written about putting an observation panel in an existing hive. (Observation Hives are 1-3 frames wide, for demonstration purposes.)

Has anyone seen a glass or acrylic panel installed in a normal (Langstroth) hive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Install Observation Window in Beehive?

I've seen nature and wildlife centers with multi-level hives behind glass walls, though no, I haven't seen a Langstroth hive with a glass side. You could do it, why not? Still, there's not a lot of action that happens on the outside frames. One of the attractions of an observation hive is you can find the queen, you can see her lay. In a 10 frame hive, the queen tends to lay in the middle four or five frames, and rarely on the edge frames.

o

Thanks. I'm thinking about ways to do it. I'd probably put a door to cover it.

I could watch bees all day, I think. It is fun to sit and watch them land/take off. This is our first year, and first two hives. Today they exibited the "washboard" movement at the entrance. Our book says this movement is not completely understood, but another sign of a well populated hive.

o

What an incredible idea---a window into the hive. Might help spot problems early. How about a plexiglas or Lucite hive? Just make the whole thing visible. On second thought, those plastics put off a smell when they get hot, I think. Bees probably wouldn't like it. But maybe they'd tolerate a bay window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here