Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swarm question

Posted by OHbluebird z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 05 at 13:23

I know this has probably been discussed on here before, but I looked quickly back through the first couple of pages and didn't find the answers to my question. A swarm of bees showed up today (they were not in that spot this morning when I watered the flowers), they are quite low to the ground on an upturned wheelbarrow. My husband saw them as he was mowing the lawn in that area :0) We have a local beekeeper, but I can't seem to reach him. Answering machine isn't working. What I am wondering is if beekeepers come and get swarms like this to use in their colonies (I imagine they do). But do you charge to do that? The swarm really is in an out of the way spot and isn't a threat. Will they move on when they are ready? I can't see paying someone to remove them if the problem will take care of itself, but I am more than willing for the beekeeper to come and get them if he wants them. Jamie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swarm question

SMALL BEEKEEPERS DO COME TO GET SWARMS AT NO COST. SPRING IS THE BEST TIME TO GET A SWARM AS THE HAVE ALL SUMMER TO GET ESTABLISHED. THE COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE USUALLY HAS A SWARM LIST- BEEKEEPERS WHO ARE WILLING TO COME TO GET THEM. THEY ARE WORTH ABOUT $50.00 SO IT'S WORTH THEIR WHILE. BIGGER COMERCIAL KEEPERS PROBABLY WON'T, HOWEVER. THE BEES YOU SAW WERE LOOKING FOR A SPOT FOR A HIVE. IT IS UNPREDICTABLE AS TO HOW LONG THEY WILL STAY IN ONE SPOT.IT'S AN AWSOME SIGHT TO SEE THEM ON THE MOVE.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here