Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nervous about requeening a hive

Posted by kchendershott z5 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 14:14

I mentioned in another post about all my hives swarming within a week and have always let the hives produce a new queen on their own. This year I wanted to requeen one of the old hives with a new Minnesota hygienic queen, so ordered right away via Express Mail, hoping to introduce before a new queen had emerged. That was almost two weeks ago.

Due to really bad weather, the supplier couldn't ship until today. The old hive almost certainly has a new queen by now, and I'm TERRIBLE about finding the queen! I've only seen queens before in my hives by accident, and usually just check for fresh eggs and good brood pattern to keep from disturbing the girls too long.

I'm really afraid I won't find the existing queen and be able to remove her before introducing the new one and could really use some encouragement and hints for a better chance at success. This new queen is expensive, and I don't want to mess it up!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nervous about requeening a hive

Hm..You might do it similar to a split, take the outer frames, ..up to the brood frames out, this might be 6 frames in each box...if you're running a 2 brood box hive. Let them sit for 2 day's and check for brood, if none, you're good to install.
Work on the other frames until you find the queen, get rid of her and combine.

Remember, your hygienic queen will only be hygienic as long she lays...unless you start from scratch and you're the
only bee keeper in a 8 mile radius.
Sure, some perhaps good genes might trickle into her offsprings but
I don't know to what extent and what advantage.

Konrad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here