Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdh101

new to beekeeping/local beekeeping club

jdh101
16 years ago

My name is Janet and I'm a new beekeeper. Actually, bees chose me. I moved a swarm of honey bees from my back patio to a bee hive and out into my garden. I live on 10 acres in a prairie-like area around Benbrook lake in south Ft. Worth and we've had LOTS of wildflowers this year.

I have a few questions regarding beekeeping.

I got a starter brood box w/frames from a local beekeeper about 6 wks ago when a swarm of honey took up residence on my back patio. I got the bees to go into the box and moved the box out to my garden. Three days ago I noticed bees "bearding" on the outside of the brood box and when I removed the top, it was full of bees. I bought a "super" and added it last night on top of the brood box, but I noticed that my bees were not bearding outside the box anymore and when I took the top off this time, I didn't see as many bees as I did 3 days ago.

Do you think my bees are moving out? Should I add another brood box or is it too late in the season? Will my bees leave in the winter? Is there a local beekeeping club in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area?

I'd really like to get an experienced beekeeper to come out and show me how to work w/bees and give me pointers. I enjoy having the bees for my garden and would like to take some honey for myself and friends.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Janet

Comments (4)

Sponsored