Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zerolotline

Dealing with aftermath of Africanized Bee extermination

Louis
10 years ago

Our home is a two story 85% brick 15% wood siding structure. The siding is on a portion of the second floor exterior wall. The hives are located in two adjoining areas. One area is between the first floor brick wall and foil sided 1" foam board attached to the wall studs. The second location is in a small area between the first ceiling joists and second floor floor joists. To exterminate the bees a relatively small section of exterior wood siding was removed. The exterminator then had access to the hives. The bee extermination company splits the job into two projects, extermination and clean up. Due to the overwhelming about of Africanized bees in North Texas this year the clean process, which is done by a second crew (from the same company) is backlogged. Once the extermination was complete we had a handy man service weather proof the open exterior wall with painted exterior grade plywood. To facilitate cleanup those same weatherproof panels can be simply removed by cutting the caulk seal and unscrewing the panels.

I recently talked to the clean up crew supervisor since our appointment is about a week away. It was during that conversation I was informed the clean up would most likely be done from within our living and dining rooms walls and ceilings. The cleanup crew would remove the interior wall and ceiling, insulation and plus on the wall(s) the aforementioned foil covered styrofoam insulation board. Next, according to the hives exact location all dead bees, hives, honey and other waste would be removed, areas washed, resealed, reinsulated. I am not certain if they replace the actual interior walls.

Our reasons for not wanting the cleanup to be done from the interior is due to several factors. In the living the furniture grade cabinet containg our audio/video must be moved. I am disabled by chronic illness so I no longer have the physical the ability to dismantle the equipment nor move the cabinet. Professionals will have to be called in to handle the move out and back. Then there is the refinishing and matching of the lightly textured sheetrock on the walls and both rooms ceiling.

As you might expect the proposed cleanup project will be extremely expensive. The extermination was reasonably priced and 100% effective as was the handy man's weather sealing work. After the cleanup and interior rebuilding is complete we are still faced with replacing the removed exterior siding which as our luck would have it, is no longer made nor has a modern duplicate.

MY QUESTION: Using the existing exterior entryways through which the original powder pesticide was blown into the cavities is there any chemical or material that can be sprayed or pumped that can permanently neutralize or make the hive, honey, dead bees/bugs and all other related wastes inaccessable and harmless. I'm not asking for much, just a miracle.

This post was edited by big_daddi on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 8:36

Comments (2)