Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ming001

First mason bee house attempt but a few questions

ming001
10 years ago

I'm giddy with excitement that I may have attracted mason bees so quickly. Of course I'm not 100% sure that's what is inside the plugs but I have my fingers crossed. I have checked Gardenweb and the web in general but can't find a comprehensive idea of what I should or shouldn't be doing.

I live in GA and only put up the house about a month ago so I thought it may be too late in the season to attract bees. I'd read that it was best to put them out in early spring.

Assuming there are indeed mason bees to be inside, is there anything I need to be doing between now and next spring when they (or something) emerge?

Can the house remain on my porch over the winter as is? I read that woodpeckers etc will try to make a meal out of them and while I love woodpeckers I would rather they eat the suet I have out for them.

Once the guests check out I understand the house should be cleaned out to prevent disease etc. Is there a particular time I should do this? And how do I accomplish that? This house pictured is wood and I have one in the back made of bamboo (both from Gardener's Supply)

Any general info is much appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH