Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First mason bee house attempt but a few questions

Posted by ming001 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 16:39

I'm giddy with excitement that I may have attracted mason bees so quickly. Of course I'm not 100% sure that's what is inside the plugs but I have my fingers crossed. I have checked Gardenweb and the web in general but can't find a comprehensive idea of what I should or shouldn't be doing.

I live in GA and only put up the house about a month ago so I thought it may be too late in the season to attract bees. I'd read that it was best to put them out in early spring.

Assuming there are indeed mason bees to be inside, is there anything I need to be doing between now and next spring when they (or something) emerge?

Can the house remain on my porch over the winter as is? I read that woodpeckers etc will try to make a meal out of them and while I love woodpeckers I would rather they eat the suet I have out for them.

Once the guests check out I understand the house should be cleaned out to prevent disease etc. Is there a particular time I should do this? And how do I accomplish that? This house pictured is wood and I have one in the back made of bamboo (both from Gardener's Supply)

Any general info is much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First mason bee house attempt but a few questions

I have a house also and had to protect it with a "hail wire" cover to prevent birds from eating the bees. In GA you are probably okay leaving it on the porch through the winter. In colder areas, it is often advisable to move it to an unheated shed for the winter.

o
RE: First mason bee house attempt but a few questions

Plenty of info on the web. Search for "raising mason bees" but no quote marks.

You might start here
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Other/note109/note109.html

Here is a link that might be useful: mason bees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here