Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisbud4u

shadecloth over hive a good idea?

thisbud4u
17 years ago

Hello everyone, my first post on this forum (usually I hang out on the fruit and orchards forum). My question is simple: did we put our hive in a location where the bees will get too hot? Here's the particulars: Our farm has just "inherited" a swarm of bees, which I managed to get into a standard hive with the help of a professional beekeeper (I'm a total newbie to bees, well, almost). We then moved the hive to a more suitable location, further away from neighboring houses. The location that the beekeeper chose has mid-to-late afternoon shade, because it's behind a huge metal storage container, but the hive still gets morning and early afternoon sun. It's a standard, white-colored hive, so the white will reflect some heat, and we do live half a mile from the coast just north of San Diego, so the weather never gets over about 85-90F (even those temps are rare---usually in the 70s ot low 80s). However, in mid-summer, it still gets pretty hot, and I noticed that the place where the bees initally swarmed was a shady spot, under some trees. Now, their hive is out in the open, and I am wondering if I should erect a shadecloth to shelter the hive in its new location. Being a newbie, I'm not sure if this is necessary or even advisable. Any comments/suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (6)

Sponsored