Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neilaz

Are they on the move?

neilaz
18 years ago

I have a 30 gal trash can that sits on the side of the house where my citrus trees and garden are. The trash can usually has dirt in it for whenever i need some. Well late last summer when it was half full and the lid was not on tight some Bees thought it would be a good place to set up home. I thought so to. Today when i went out the bees are all over the outside of the trash can stacked on top of each other in an area about 1'x2' down one side.

are they moving the hive outside? getting ready to move on?

What are they up to? I think they are honeybees

Comments (3)

• amymcg
    18 years ago

Well, if it's hot outside, they might be fanning to keep it cool. If they move, only half the hive will move on. Just depends on how much space they have in there.

If they are honeybees and you're worried about them, why not have a beekeeper come out and smoke them a little so you can peek inside. . Maybe it's time to give them a more permanent home.

• neilaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Friday night i noticed that the bees were gone. Only to go out front and there they were accross the street in one of the trees. they were still there Saturday morn. But late Sat night they were back at my place where they had been the day before in the same configuration on the outside of the trash can. Maybe they didn't like it across the street. Yes it is hot as i am in Arizona. I think it was 110 today.... When you say smoke them a little does that make them mellow? I am only worried about where the bees will go to set up the new hive not really worried about them at my place.

• amymcg
    18 years ago

Sounds like they are trying to swarm. OR, the trashcan is just too damn hot during the day for them all to be in there. Do ALL of them leave?

Once they decide to swarm, it's hard to keep them from doing otherwise.

Yes, the smoke will calm them. It's a phenomenon. They think there is a fire, so they gorge themselves on honey in case they have to leave and set up shop somewhere else. So we can usually inspect while they are stuffing themselves with honey from their combs.

When they swarm, they will do exactly what you saw, they will leave in a big cloud and take up somewhere in a tree, usually nearby until the scout bees find them a suitable place to call home. Since they went back to your trashcan it's possible that the queen didn't or couldnt' come with them, so they returned. You may see this behavior several times before a succesful swarm. The bees remaining after a swarm will make a new queen.

Your bees were probably a swarm originally that decided the trashcan was a good place to be.

If you like having the bees around, maybe you should become a beekeeper. :-)

If they swarm and are in a tree and you're worried about them, contact your local extension office for a beekeeper's name. They will probably come and get them and give them a new home. Beekeepers love to get free bees.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm