Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Bully Bee?

Posted by tib13 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 19:23

The wild bees are active on my purple salvia and I have all sorts visiting.

But today I saw something that I've never seen before. Honeybees - one larger than the others. When one landed on one of the flowers, the larger bee would quickly land on top of it and scare it off, but no hard seemed to be done. It did it twice when I was watching and then my husband saw the same actions.

Both bees look like honey bees - same gold and dark brown coloring, just the one was, maybe, an 1/8 inch larger? It didn't bother the bumbles.

Was this normal or something I should keep an eye on?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Bully Bee?

I find this is pretty normal....if these are two worker, female bees, the larger one's are usually the male drone bees
and I don't think you have seen this, most likely a larger worker bee competing for the same flower.

Konrad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here