Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I remove a yellow jacket nest?

Posted by todancewithwolves Z9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 20:05

Yellow jackets have build a nest in an old bird house under my eves. I love insects and have my garden certified as a Monarch Waystation. From what I read, they eat other insects. I don't want them preying on my caterpillars before I have time to find them.

I don't want to kill the YJ. My dilemma, should I remove the nest? if so, how? Or is the damage minimal and leave them be? I'm not afraid of them.

Your thoughts?

Edna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I remove a yellow jacket nest?

My thoughts==kill them!! I use bug spraythat sprays 20ft after dark and don`t use a flash lite!

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 22:37

They're out of reach under the eaves.

So leave them be until the end of the year when all will be gone. Then you can safely remove the nest. Even if it remains in place, the new generation of yellowjackets won't re-use it.

o

Yellow jackets are the only ones I get rid of. usually they nest in the ground so you may have paper wasps which are much more docile and I let them nest where they want. They also keep aphids and other bad bugs cleaned out. Our county mosquito district comes in and removes yellow jackets.

I use to take out the nests at night until 3 crawled up my leg and stung me later.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here