Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't know what to do now...

Posted by brer Zone 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 20:08

I'm a first year beekeeper. I posted a while ago about the large frames that were given to me to put in medium boxes.

And all the problems I've been having with that setup.

Well, about a month ago my hive had a swarm.
We saw it leave, but couldn't find it.
I checked the hive about 10 days later.
The bees were very busy and I thought I saw a few eggs. Maybe only about 5---but only one in each cell.
I did not see a queen.
Since then I've left them alone, but today I thought I'd better check again to see if there was any action.
I have four boxes---mediums.
The top one which was one that I put on just before the swarm is still very empty.
The next to top one is full to the brim with honey. Only honey. No brood or eggs or anything. But beautiful, beautiful honey.
I didn't go any lower because this is the box that has the long (five) nuke frames and I didn't want to bust them up like what happens every time I move them because they have all that comb beneath.
So...I don't know what's happening in the bottom two boxes.
Could there be a queen there? Probably not, right?
So, what should I do? Should I go ahead and check in the bottom boxes for brood, etc. Or should I assume there is none and get another queen?
Or is it too late for a queen?
Should I just start over next year?

If it's too late for a queen, should I take that honey. Are the bees going to die anyway?

What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't know what to do now...

Are bees bring in pollen?..If so, then most likely you have a queen and by now you should get more activity with new bees coming...if it's dwindling down then I would take it apart and see
what's going on, if no brood/queen is around then I would install one, it's not too late and you should be fine.

o
RE: Don't know what to do now...

First I would look for a queen then and if you dont I would advise getting a new queen and it is definitely not to late for getting queens. I would also look for eggs but the chance could be a laying worker but they only lay drones unfertilized eggs. So look for worker cells and drones to tell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here