Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisette1_gw

Bees in a bad place

lisette1
15 years ago

In our area the news covered the distruction of a swarm and rightly a big protest ensued. Another case last week with someone locally needing a wild hive moved and no one to help - no local beekeepers offering assistance. These bees will probably be destroyed too. Now my neighbor comes to me because he has a colony in the pillar on his porch It has been there about 3 months old. My neighbor really wants to move the bees rather that kill them but I am a newbie with only one new hive. I have never attempted such a thing. I'm thinking of trying to move this colony and release them in the Big thicket. Any suggestions? Can I use a bait to draw them into a temporary box? These bees are on the porch near the mailbox and not bothering anyone so can I assume they are not Africanized? If they are and I am adequately gloved, and in protective wear will I be OK? Any Southeast Texans care to help

I would be really interest in doing my bit and rescuing colonies with the idea of moving them to undeveloped areas (the woods).

Comments (3)

Sponsored