Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ok, this is too wierd

Posted by onafixedincome z8-9 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 21:56

I just had the ODDEST experience, and would like to send you some pictures of the bee involved....

Found what appeared to be a wingless, light-colored bee crawling over my rabbit manure (I recently treated with carbamol-Sevin-and hope she didn't get into it). Picked her up and no wings, very light, not interested in drops of sweet tea.

Brought it in to take pictures, and it started to...change. Went from wingless to fully winged, light to dark-colored. Quite dark abdomen, with small kidney-shaped burnt orange spots just under the base of the wings. Flies.

Could this be a young bee, perhaps even a queen, that was for whatever reason booted from the hive?

Please send me an email at RNRQ@cncnet.com and I'll send you the pictures, or go to the link below...Thanks!

Pamela in California

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ok, this is too wierd

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 22:57

It's a normal process. The adult emerges, then must pump body fluids into the wings to expand them.

o
RE: Ok, this is too wierd - more

Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 22:59

Oops. Didn't notice at first. The 3rd picture shows what's likely a varroa mite on the bee's right eye.

o

Yes, but...from where did this one come? Do they normally do this on the ground? (I figured it would happen in the hive)...if it helps any, we've had some good breezes today?
PA

o

Um, no. That would be a droplet of the sweet solution I dropped into the bottle. :)

PA

It wound up a VERY dark blackish bodied bee with narrow yellow/gold stripes crosswise and two bronze patches under the wing base...not the usual honeybee here. And what about the tiny antennae?

I'm so confuzzed! :)

o

Obviously it is a fly.
A mite in the fly? Perhaps a louse, or perhaps a mite, but it is neither varroa destructor, nor varroa jacobsoni.

o

Fri, Jun 16, 06 at 0:52

Oops. Big one. It's a fly. Can tell by the antennae. (Have to dust off my glasses.)

But the wing expansion bit is still normal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bees and Beekeeping Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here